Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT BENGALS NAMES COME END OF SUMMER
(05-17-2017, 06:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is extremely pessimistic view of things.

1.) LT is the most important position on the offensive line if you have a right-handed QB.  What you forget, or choose to ignore, is that Whit struggled mightily when he first got his shot at LT.  Like Ced, he was moved around, and the Bengals regret that decision with Ced.  They also regret that they needed him to play when he wasn't healthy.  I have no was of knowing if Whit was healthy when he started, but I believe he was.  One Bengal's exec told me that Ced would have been the first lineman off the board in this year's draft class if he were being evaluated against them.  They feel that strongly about him.  A healthy start, a full camp at LT (something he hasn't had yet on either account) and I believe he will rise to meet the expectations.  If not, at least they have a backup plan of Fisher to LT and Andre to RT.  Lastly, there is an expression about Father Time being undefeated, and as much as I love Whit, he will be 36 this upcoming season. 

2.) Boling is not an All-Pro that will elevate those around him?  Ok, but do you realize how much a lineman relies on his shoulder strength?  He played through a significant shoulder injury for pretty much the entire season.  There is no way you can look at him at full strength and not think he should be significantly improved.  

3.) Bodine is a solid run blocker and a below average pass-blocker.  I have heard it said that the center position is 99% based on the player's intelligence.  That seems like a stretch to me, but we always give QBs the excuse of "his third OC in six years".  Well, I think this is Bodine's second in three years.  He is heading in to your four with the same OC as last year.  Again, like Boling, I don't see any way how this becomes a regression, especially in his contract year.  He did struggle mightily in his first year, but the Bengals stayed with him and he has improved every season.  And let's be honest:  Jeremy Hill sucked ass against every team not named Cleveland.  Rex Burkhead proved at least some of the issues with the running game were on the shoulders of the RB. 

4.) Zeitler was an average run blocker and an above average pass blocker.  He wasn't worth $12 million per year, but good for him.  His sudden desire to not be "the fat lineman" seemed to deter his development as a run blocker.  Again, some of this is on Hill, but I see younger, stronger guys in Redmond and Westerman that may be able to improve the run blocking of the team.  I know Andre Smith could, and has the potential to be a mauler at RG.

5.) Fisher was toyed with all over the line and formations before finally finding a home at RT.  I like his size, length, and strength.  Plus, more than all that, I like his attitude.  Dude is one tough mother.  He may not be an All-Pro, but I see no way he doesn't offer a significant upgrade over Ced playing injured at RT.  Especially in the running game.

That is four out of five positions on the offensive line that I have provided sound rationale as to why they could be improved in the running game.  If the running game improves, pass blocking becomes easier.  If all this makes me a "homer", so be it.   I just believe that they have made the right moves and we will see a very different offense this season.  A better one.  

I am confused do you think Paul Alexander is Harry Potter and is going to use a magic spell on this offensive line? OG was the worst starter last year in the NFL and instead of replacing him they promoted him to LT. RT is question mark( although I am confident fisher will be good) , Zeitler was a very good player and replacing him with an undrafted free agent and fifth round pick is unsettling, Boiling is good, and our center sucks. That leaves us with two unknowns and two crappy players. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: IMPORTANT BENGALS NAMES COME END OF SUMMER - J24 - 05-17-2017, 03:08 PM