Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Best Reds Player Ever?
(09-20-2017, 01:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ok, so this will be a bit long winded and may make some angry lol:

Through Accomplishments: Johnny Bench
Through Sheer Ability/Talent: Eric Davis

That being said, I feel the Reds all-around best player was Barry Larkin. Bar none.

Honourable mentions go to Votto, George Foster, Jose Rijo, Joe Morgan, Pete Harnisch.

I wouldn't consider Rose even in the top 10 and this is without the scandal; he is certainly super popular and does own records, but that is because HE PLAYED FAR AND AWAY THE MOST OF ANY BASEBALL PLAYER IN WORLD HISTORY.

The closest person to him in longevity, is Ty Cobb and Cobb smashes the absolute crap out of Rose and this is in an era where offense was non-existent. Yes, I know Cobb is one of the 5 greatest baseball players in world history, but had Rose played the SAME amount as Cobb, his numbers would be drastically lower, significantly lower.

People like him, Concepcion, Tony Perez, Tom Browning, were all GREAT players, but they were more popular, due to hometown bias, than they should be; I wouldn't place any of these guys in the top 5, for example.

Votto, by the time he retires, will be there with Larkin and Bench, as the top 3; he's a once in a generation talent.

EDIT: My favourite? Tough.

Dave Parker is one of my favourite players ever
Hal Morris is definitely up there
Eddie Taubensee is one of my favourite catchers ever
Harnisch and Rijo are up there, as is Norm Charlton

But if I had to pick my favourite RED, whom I always associate with the Reds...
Gotta be Hal Morris or Billy Hatcher.

You're dead to me now. Ninja

LMAO Seriously, loved the Cobra....and Barry Larkin too.

The thing you're missing with Pete is Gold Gloves, all of the different positions (I mean the man could literally play anywhere but pitcher), all of the All Star appearances (17), MVP, rookie of the year, World Series MVP, 3x World Champion, 3x batting champ, Silver Slugger Award, 44 game hitting streak, Roberto Clemente Award, MLB All Century team......and most importantly, the all out hustle.  The guy ran to first when he walked for Pete sake.  THAT'S what mostly endears him to Cincy fans.  If he was on the field, it was all out, all the time.  Blue collar folks (in those days) like Cincy fans are always gonna love a guy like that.  Pete Rose truly epitomized the "bring your lunch pail to work" kind of player.....and he played well enough to go with that.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the Best Reds Player Ever? - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM