Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?

That's the clever title of an article on ESPN and discusses the reasons why and why not we could be.

It starts by mentioning the problems on the offensive line, which many of us are worried about.

Quote:The Bengals allowed 41 sacks last season. That was with Pro Bowlers Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth. Both left in free agency this year.

That's heartbreaking and seeing it in print only makes my fears for this season worse.

Then it talks about the rest of the line:

Quote:Zeitler's replacement is Andre Smith, a longtime right tackle for the Bengals who was not pursued heavily by them and signed with the Vikings for one disastrous season. He played in only four games because of injury. At 30, he is now attempting to make the move to guard for the first time in his career.

Zeitler will be tough to replace but I think can excel at guard, even at his age, because he can use his size more and won't have to move as much. He can be more of a bulldozer and a big object in the middle in pass protection.

Quote:Whitworth's replacement is Cedric Ogbuehi, who struggled all of last season at right tackle and was forced to share the role with Eric Winston. He didn’t fare much better in one game at left tackle either, which is where he’ll play this season. Jake Fisher will move into Ogbuehi’s spot, leaving Clint Boling and Russell Bodine as the only full-time starters returning.

People are writing-off Ogbuehi, but I feel like having him focus on his natural position and having all off-season to improve will allow him to be successful and protect Andy's blindside. Fisher being full-time at RT should also allow him to be successful.

Bodine still worries me, but, if he can even be average, I feel like our line could be ok, but that's a BIG IF.

I also feel like Mixon making teams respect the run will also help the line more than people are giving credit for.

It talks about how getting rid of Rey and Dansby, while adding Minter, improves the linebacking group:

Quote:The Bengals have appeared to resolve some of their problem areas, at least on paper. Linebackers Rey Maualuga and Karlos Dansby were showing their age last season. They’ve been replaced by Kevin Minter, who is only 26 but has enough experience for the Bengals to feel comfortable signing him in free agency.

Nick Vigil, in his second season, probably will be the strongside linebacker. They’ve upgraded in athleticism at the position, and barring injury, Vontaze Burfict should be there from Day 1 after starting last year on suspension. That could be huge for early games.

I feel like having Burfict from day one will also give our defense an identity and enthusiasm as they'll rally around him.

I also think Vigil could be a playmaker for us and only flew under the radar because he went to Utah State but I think he's good in pass rush AND pass coverage.

It mentions how our kicking game cost us games, which nothing is more frustrating for our fan base, but we'll hopefully be improved:

Quote:It’s highly unlikely the Bengals' kicking situation will be as bad as it was in 2016, when it probably cost them a few games. They drafted Jake Elliott in the fifth round and have him competing with Randy Bullock, but it’s probably Elliott’s job to lose. A better kicking situation last year could’ve meant the difference in at least three games.

I questioned taking Elliot that early over other guys, but I think our staff pulled off a steal. I'm liking our kicking game this year.

It mentions how all the new weapons will free-up AJ, which I've posted a lot about and is scary to think about:

Quote:If all goes well, A.J. Green won’t be putting so much on his shoulders this year. The Bengals have added two dymanic offensive rookies -- Joe Mixon and John Ross -- in addition to wide receiver Josh Malone. Ross, if he stays healthy, adds a badly needed speed option, and Mixon gives them a versatile running back who also can catch passes. He’s already an upgrade at that position.

With a speedy guy like Ross, you need two safeties back deep, but then you allow Mixon to get 5 or 6 yards a pop on the ground.

There's more in the article, like our potential problems in the secondary, but I think we'll be ok once our young guys get their feet wet:

Quote:It’s still possible Adam Jones could be suspended because of his off-the-field conduct. If that were to happen, Darqueze Dennard, who has struggled to live up to his first-round status, or William Jackson III, a promising second-year player who was hurt his rookie season, would be filling in. Jones is also going to be 34 this fall, which is on the older side for a cornerback.

Also mentions the return from injuries as problems for Gio and Eifert, but the article has me excited about our potential!!!!!!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders? - BFritz21 - 06-12-2017, 12:53 AM