Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players speak for first time on Marvin's contract situation
@Murdock2420 - Marvin gets a job helping Duke Tobin.

This is a popular opinion. Marvin does indeed scout players, but that all comes after the season ends and has more to do with the workouts and combine. Scouting talent is a collaborative effort of the entire staff, by position group. I think if “Marvin went upstairs” it wouldn’t be a GM type of role, but more advisory i.e. ceremonial. That’s pure speculation on my part.

@grampahol –
Yeah, there’s nothing there about Pittsburgh at all, and Marvin has had to move Mike along in some ways to keep current with other NFL clubs. Conversely, Mike doesn’t say no – he just needs to see that that way (whatever it may be) can win games and it’s not just something to do “just to do.”

@Pat5775 - One playoff win is not enough to warrant an extension IMO. The team has to play with fire in the postseason and Primetime games this season. They have to show some balls and not wilt under the lights. If they do that, then sure, by all means extend Marv for another year...

Honest question (and some devils advocate): At what point are the players at fault for any of the performance on the field? I understand the complaints about game planning, strategy, etc. – but in the end someone has to make the throw, catch the pass, make the stop when it matters in such “big” games.

@masterpanthera_t; @pat5775 – re: Guenther
I know Guenther aspires to be a head coach, but he has yet to even be interviewed. That doesn’t mean much, but I think other teams want to see his unit put together a dominant performance from week 1-16. You can take bits of pieces of each of the last couple seasons and say “the defense played well/top 10 level” but unlike Jay or Hue’s offenses, his defenses haven’t really popped.

@Bfine32 For a player to even think and/or suggest they cannot win because of the coach is silly and is a dynamic that I have pointed out many times. 

I didn’t expect any player to dip into the past while the present is still at hand. I guess I was thinking we might get a “he deserves to be here” type of thing.

@SHRacerX – ‘transition plan.’
I’m not sure how real that was, to be honest.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players speak for first time on Marvin's contract situation - jowczarski - 06-24-2017, 12:37 AM