Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith liking it at Guard
(06-25-2017, 07:01 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Andre Smith signed a 1 year, $3,250,000 contract with the Bengals

I dont get this.

They are obviously taking a risk on the guy, who is 30, coming off injury, but has performed well in the past.  High draft pick, etc.

So like, the O line is a huge weakness of the team - very obvious.

So, lets just say Smith becomes a really really good Guard, which I think is possible -   Why isnt there an mutual or team option on the deal for a second year, something like 5-6 million for the option year.

It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain.  Otherwise, opt out and void the option.

You don't know that there isn't an option. Regardless of whether there is or isn't it still takes both sides to agree with contracts. He's coming off injury to play a new position. If he's terrible (nobody really expects that) or gets seriously injured and can't play then they're stuck with the contract. A lot of older players get year to year contracts..nothing unheard of there.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - Stewy - 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - grampahol - 06-26-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - CJD - 06-25-2017, 09:03 PM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - 3wt - 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM