Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deal with a one upper?
(09-22-2017, 08:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Welcome to work. We have to deal with all kinds of personalities at our workplaces. I deal with it by just accepting people are different from me and that’s ok. Could be he’s just trying to make a good impression since he’s new and he’ll chill once he feels more secure in his job.

(09-23-2017, 12:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think you should befriend the guy.  Yes he is annoying but he has proven he will do anything and is willing to jump in on anything even when he may not know the subject matter.    It's not a bad thing to have a real go getter in your corner.    You can tone him down moreso by being a friend than you can h ignoring him.   You also get to benefit but using his enthusiasm to allow you to spread your ideas.    

Use this guy to help you.   Enthusiasm at work is something that needs nurtured especially from a veteran coworker.

Sound advice on both counts., and both have worked for me in the past.

In my experience, the guy who is trying the hardest to "put on a show" is generally the most insecure. And there are reasons for that insecurity. When you make an effort to befriend them, you can learn about what drives them. When you learn about what drives them, you can do one of two things: 1) You can help them with their insecurities and support them, or 2) You can betray them. I recommend the former. It is the wise move, good leadership, and you can develop a trusted friend and ally. Plan 1 works for the good of everyone. Plan 2 leaves you morally bankrupt and everyone mistrusts you (including yourself).

Ultimately, this isn't a test of what he can or can't do. It is a test of what you should or should not do.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to deal with a one upper? - CKwi88 - 09-22-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: How to deal with a one upper? - treee - 09-22-2017, 02:33 PM
RE: How to deal with a one upper? - Bengalzona - 09-23-2017, 02:56 PM