Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Steelers hate America
(10-04-2017, 08:33 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wasn't their motivation 'if we can't agree to stand or kneel as a team, we'll just not leave the tunnel'?

That's at least what I gathered from all the noise. It's of course ironic since its against league rules to not be on the sideline during the anthem, though it's pretty obvious by now that the team won't be punished.

Two other teams stayed in the tunnel also, not just the Steelers. The motivation to do that was to AVOID all this stupid bullshit and not make the anthem about the players. To my knowledge, like the Bengals,  not one Steeler has ever knelt for the anthem (though I'm not positive). It was kind of a 'protest against the protest'. They chose to enter the field after the anthem, just like most NFL teams did up until about 8-9 years ago, when the military paid the NFL millions to have the teams come out earlier, unfurl giant flags on the field, etc. 

It backfired tremendously. No one understood what they were doing or why, so idiots that don't bother to fact check or get more information, start burning stuff. (But hey they got their 15 minutes....) Even Villanueva was on board with their decision and has tried to set the record straight since.  Personally, I think if every team stayed in the tunnel for the next few games ( like they did up until recently), it takes the spotlight away from any kneelers / protesters, and this whole stupid mess will fizzle out. 

I have less a problem with a team trying to diffuse the situation, then I do knowing that a good portion of those burning stuff and crying about disrespecting the flag, are the same hypocrites at the games that pay little attention to the anthem, are taking selfies and pictures, feeding their face with nachos, waving to their friends in another section while talking to them on their cell phones, drinking their beer, leaving their hats on, laughing and high fiveing their buddies, etc...all during the anthem.  I see it every Bengals game, and I'm sure that scene plays out in every other stadium every Sunday . But hey, they'll burn a jersey if it'll get them some hits on Youtube.

Just curious how many of us stand and sing the national anthem when watching a game on TV. How many of us criticize a player taking a knee, while we're sitting in our Lazyboy eating wings and drinking a beer during the anthem?

I personally think it has all got ridiculously blown out of proportion...In the overall scheme of things it's just not that big a deal.  There are far more important issues that affect us and warrant our energy and concern than this does.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Steelers hate America - The Real Deal - 09-28-2017, 01:18 AM
RE: The Steelers hate America - Lawless_1 - 10-01-2017, 11:13 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - BFritz21 - 10-03-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - BFritz21 - 10-03-2017, 11:02 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - BMK - 10-04-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - rfaulk34 - 10-04-2017, 01:39 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - HarleyDog - 10-04-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - BMK - 10-04-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - Sled21 - 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM
RE: The Steelers hate America - rfaulk34 - 10-04-2017, 05:43 PM