Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Discovery
Good timing for me Arturo. I just watched the first 9 for this series Sunday and yesterday at a friend's house.

I've seen all the live action Trek stuff at least once except Deep Space 9. My views may be tainted by the fact I am one of the rare people who liked Enterprise the most.

(11-21-2017, 03:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I don't like the redesigned Klingon look. I can't get used to that. For me, a Klingon should always look like Worf. That said, future storylines are supposed to address the change in Klingon appearances in different Trek shows (fingers crossed).

I generally like the high science storyline. But I have a little trouble with all of the "super science" stuff occurring before the original Star Trek show in the timeline.

The original series (TOS - Kirk's Enterprise) as the base line.  The Next Generation starts about 100 years after Kirk with Voyager and Deep Space 9 happening proportionally to the show release dates to TNG developments (meaning if VOY started 5 or 6 years into the TNG run then those things were happening 5 or 6 years after the launch of Picard's Enterprise D).

Enterprise was about 100 years before TOS.

If you take ENT into account, Klingons are supposed to look like humans at this time.  One of the first characters seen in ENT was a Klingon who was the first contact between humans and Klingons and he looked like the Worf style.  In, I think, season 4 there is an explanation to why Klingons would look like humans 100 years later for Kirk's Enterprise.

Other continuity errors - The speed of these ships is faster than anything else ever seen on the show except the Borg conduits and perhaps slipstream in Voyager.  Replicators and holodecks were clearly shown as technology that was new to the Federation in TNG (but alien species did have these in ENT) however both have been shown in this new series already.

Pike is already one of the most decorated captains in this series.  To my understanding most of his awards come just a short while before Kirk takes over the Enterprise due to the war that is occurring during the new show  (I may be a bit of a Trek geek but not enough to know this for sure).  Keep in mind, Pike was supposed to be on the Enterprise for a few years before Kirk takes over in the original timeline instead of Kirk assuming command shortly after launch in the altered timeline.

Some or all of this could be explained if it was in the approximately 15 to 20 years in an altered timeline as a result of the Romulan and Spock traveling back in time for the 2009 movie but I heard the creators of the show have said it is in the original timeline.  Not too late for them to change their minds which could resolve some of this.

Quote:But my biggest problem is that this is an adult-oriented Star Trek. Things like when the Klingon killed the guy by stomping on his head or when they dropped the "f" word a few weeks ago bother me because I've always felt Star Trek should be kid-friendly. I watched it when I was a boy. My son is very interested in it, but I can't let him watch this show with that sort of stuff going on.

Don't forget the brief look of Klingon breast in a love making scene.

All that said, I agree the show is pretty good so far.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Star Trek Discovery - Arturo Bandini - 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Bengalzona - 11-21-2017, 03:28 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Arturo Bandini - 11-21-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Penn - 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Bengalzona - 11-21-2017, 09:11 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Penn - 11-21-2017, 10:03 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - treee - 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - XenoMorph - 11-22-2017, 01:05 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Awful Llama - 11-22-2017, 11:08 PM
RE: Star Trek Discovery - Arturo Bandini - 11-22-2017, 04:44 PM