Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont Refer To The 90's, This Is No Better
(01-02-2018, 12:19 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Barely above?  Really?   From the death of Paul Brown and the 1991 season until 2002 when Marvin arrived the Bengals were 55-137, that is an average of 4.5 wins per season.  We had 1, 2 win season, 4, 3 win seasons and one season at 8-8, our best season in a 12 year span.  Just for reference...We have 56 wins in the last 6 years, even with this year and last.  

(01-02-2018, 12:25 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Some of you obviously do not remember the 90's. Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet, Dick LeBeau (great D-coordinator, bad head coach), zero scouting staff, no Director of player personnel, Jeff Blake, Scott Mitchell, Neil O'Donnell, Gus Freaking Frerotte, Akili Smith, David Klingler. Jeff Query was a starting WR on some of those teams for God's sake. Seasons were over by the first of October. It was the Browns before the Browns. We can hate the current state of the organization all we want, but it is NO comparison to the comedy act that went on here in the 90's and early 2000's. Not even close.

(01-02-2018, 12:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've been with this team as a fan since the beginning, and I can assure you, this is nothing like the 90's.....

I very much lived through the 90's and remember it well. We sucked bad in the 90's there's no doubt ! And since Marvin's arrival there's also no doubt things have been better. We've made the playoffs seven times and so on.

But if you take the Bengal vision glasses off and take a real hard look at things we're trending down - BAD !

Through the entirety of the Marvin Lewis tenure we've peaked at best of the mediocre. There's and outlier here and there but by and large the top 3rd of the league has owned us every season.

We all know the list. Can't win "big games", can't beat Pittsburgh, suck in prime time, 0-7 in the playoffs, get our brakes beat of in the 2nd half of games waayyyyy more often than not.

But the main thing I was talking about is the last 2 and 1/2 seasons, since the 8-0 start to 2015 this team has went downhill like a freight train coming off Mt. Everest !

We have seven wins (7) against teams not in the bottom 1/4 of the league over the last 40 games. And all 7 of those games are against other mediocre teams as well, 7-9 8-8 and so on. I believe the Bills this season are the only win against a playoff team in 2 and 1/2 seasons now. And if we didn't do a dead cat bounce the Bills wouldn't be in, what are they 9-7 ?

Does this team stink as bad as the 90's rosters ? NO

But we're a lot closer to the bottom 1/4 of the league than we are the top 1/4

And I have zero faith if Marvin truly does come back that we're ever going to get above best of the mediocre !

If you want to say we're doing good so be it. But I won't
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont Refer To The 90's, This Is No Better - bengalfan74 - 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM