Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Livingston promoted to DB coach
(01-10-2018, 02:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, the really need to make their minds up at where they are going to play Shaw and let him practice soley in that position. Smith, the Bengals screwed the pooch there. Williams, who I am not at all impressed with, was injured a lot. Waiving Smith was such a stupid idea and the thinking nobody would scoop him backefired. Fej is a tackling machine but suspect in coverage. 

Agree with all of this.

(01-10-2018, 02:50 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I thought we waived him and then put him on the PS only to have Cleveland nab him? 

Yeah, a bit different than cutting the guy but still, big mistake.

(01-10-2018, 02:52 PM)N_B Wrote: George Iloka is the 44th rated safety according to PFF, which is very very average.  Sean Williams is slightly higher at #41.

Point is, don't overrate our own players.  Safety has at times been a source of weakness; they don't tackle well (as a result of going for the big hit), don't turn the call over, and haven't covered tight ends well.  Hopefully, a lot of that can be adjusted with scheme; Paul viewed the safeties as the "last line of defense" in a bend don't break system, so I bet that took away some aggressiveness.

I don't put much stock in PFF, if these guys got more picks they would be rated way higher by just being in the right
place at the right time. George and Shawn are not ballhawks, but they don't get beat for TD's very often either.

The problem lately is they go for the big hit instead of just tackling the player with proper technique.

Hopefully Austin can coach them up in this aspect.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Livingston promoted to DB coach - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM