Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboys interviewing Paul Alexander for their OL coach
(01-12-2018, 01:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Honestly, after the failure of Bodine, Fisher, and Ogbuehi I can't really object to the firing of Alexander.  I just think the hatred going back for years is unfounded.

Also, I was not aware that the O-line coach called the plays, so I am not sure what you mean by Lazor "changing up the scheme".  The bengals play book has always contained different running plays with different blocking schemes.  I remember when Kyle Cook was coming back from injury and started over Travis Stephenson.  They said the reason they did it was because they could use all of the different blocking schemes with Cook, but were limited with Stephenson.  So as I understand it the choice of blocking scheme on a run play has always been up to the OC calling the plays instead of the O-line coach.  Where did you hear that Lazor changed the scheme midseason?

As Ocho and Wyche here show, there were many transcripts from bengals.com that spoke of PA being in charge
of the run game until the last 6 games of the season when Lazor implemented a much more aggressive scheme
than the zone blocking scheme PA was running for the first 10 games.

The result? Huge difference in a positive way.

That zone blocking scheme gave the Lineman no confidence cause it was too passive.

There might be some speculation going on but PA being the assistant HC and the OL coach must of got a little
upset with Lazor sort of stepping on his toes. There was one transcript that spoke of having coaches that could
argue but could get over it and become a family in the end. Lazor said something to this effect.

Paraphrasing of course.

(01-12-2018, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Was mentioned in Hobson article that Alexander was in charge of the ground game.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb

(01-12-2018, 02:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's fair enough.....I think he had let nuances of an ever evolving game pass him by, but I respect your opinion and honest answer.

My apologies, I guess you hadn't been around during the discussion about all of this over the last few weeks.  It appears Alexander was over the run game, and calling the blocking schemes per Lazor's presser and the Bengals homepage.  It was discussed on here after the Cleveland game (and before any of this came to light) that it appeared the Bengals had switched up their blocking approach.  From that game forward, the run game improved on a YPC basis rather dramatically.  Then, all of that was confirmed as ochocincos noted above.

This is speculation on my part, but it appears the assistant HC title had gone to his head, or Mike had given him way too much leeway in that department.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cowboys interviewing Paul Alexander for their OL coach - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-12-2018, 03:21 PM