Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hobson back with his first propaganda piece
(01-18-2018, 02:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why are you being so hateful?

One of the most common complaints about Marvin is that he causes the Bengals to lose games when he plays too conservative with a lead in the second half.  I assume you have heard this claim.

All I am saying is that this is just a myth.  In orderto prove that it is just a myth I have repeatedly asked people to give me an example of when this happened.  And they never can.  So if you want to rage at someone for making a claim with nothing to back it up you should be yelling at everyone that makes this claim instead of at me.

But here is the really bad news for you.  You claim that when sitting on a lead Marvin is being too conservative unless he has Dalton throw the ball over 10 yards downfield 7 times in the second half, and there is not a single QB in the league who throws the ball that far that often even if you include the first half and times when they are behind.  Roethlisberger is the only one that comes close.  He averaged 13.4 pass attempts over ten yards downfield per game.  Only a very few average more than ten per game.  Rivers averaged 12.1.  Brady 11.9. Wilson 11.6. Stafford 10.0.  I did not check every QB in the league but the splits are available on ESPN.com if you want to dispute this claim.

Basically the standard you use to accuse Lewis of being too conservative makes every head coach in the league too conservative.

Smirk

Next.

This doesn't 100% explain why the team seems to become too "conservative" in the second half of games, but I did find these numbers interesting...

Bengals points scored by quarter (ranking compared to other teams):
Q1) 4.2 points (14th)
Q2) 6.9 points (17th)
Q3) 2.8 points (30th)
Q4) 4.2 points (29th)

Bengals points scored by half (ranking compared to other teams):
H1) 11.1 points (17th)
H2) 7.0 points (31st)

For one reason or another, Bengals went from middle-of-the-pack in first half of games to practically bottom-of-the-barrel in the second half of games.
They followed the same trend in 2016, but in 2015 they actually went from middle-of-the-pack in first half of games to 10th in the second half. That had a lot to do with why they won so many games in 2015.

Source - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/2nd-half-points-per-game
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread