Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
(02-01-2018, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is why I chose to ambiguously choose a random era starting with the 90's and beyond, in my earlier post.  Heck, I'm old.  Born in '69, I grew up on the real rock gods.  The reason I chose the 90's as a starting point for what I consider "modern" era, is that so much was changing in that time period.  A lot of styles that used to be the norm were getting pushed aside in favor of "new flavor".  For example, the grunge movement was huge, took the Nation by storm.  However, seems most of the good artists from that sect seemed to die off, typically from drug/emotional issues.  To me, a Rock god is someone that it is not only talented, but can stand the test of time, both as a musician and as a person.

(Yeah, I know, a lot of people are going to point to artists like Jimmy Hendrix and Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, but who knows what they could have shown the world through their talents if they had only been stronger humans.)
To be honest Slash is one of the few who is not only still around, but making music with others.

Isn't it quite odd that guys like Slash and Grohl surpassed even their notorious frontmen in overall fame?

Of course Cobain died, but I'm not quite sure he could have held lasting fame had he not.

Reznor still wins awards and makes music but he's kind of a low key guy when it comes to overall exposure.

Marilyn Manson's run was very short even though how huge he was.

Morello is so unique that I consider him to be a "modern" guitar legend.  But that's the musician in me.

No way I think he's as household known in rock as Slash.  Even though he is much more original.

Rob Zombie is someone that immediately is recognizable as well. 

Cornell was held in high regard from that era but it wasn't like he projected into God type status universally until his death.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music? - BengalsRocker - 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM