Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Are The Steelers Good or Just Lucky?
(02-15-2018, 11:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not a deciding factor, but in a playoff game between rivals when we haven't won a playoff game in 15 years, emotions play a big role and so does momentum, which you conveniently left out.  

Not only would our emotions have been high, they wouldn't have been completely deflated like they were.

Having conversations with Steelers fans makes me realize that having a traumatic brain injury isn't so bad.

Thanks  ThumbsUp

Yeah, it apparently does give you an excuse to reject objective reason.  Ignorance really is bliss, I guess.

But here's a thought for those of us who live in the real world: momentum shifts happen all the time in football.  Having it at one point in the game doesn't guarantee that you'll keep it the rest of the game, or even until the next play.  

Here's 3 examples, all from the 2005 Bengals' season:

Against the Jags that year, the Bengals recovered a kickoff fumble on the Jacksonville 21.  Lots of emotional momentum there, right?  It resulted in 3 points.  Against the Titans, Carson completed a 35 yard pass to the Tennessee 5. Surely a splash play like that revved up that offense to the point where a TD was inevitable, right?  The drive ended in a field goal.  Against Cleveland Rudi Johnson ran 32 yards to the Browns 5.  The trip across the goal line was just a formality at that point, no?  It ended in another field goal.  And those are just a few of the examples I found before I stopped looking.  I have no doubt that there were more.  

The point is that 'momentum' is too fluid to be a reliable predictor.  It can literally shift at any moment with one bad play, injury, or penalty, and does not in any way make a team invincible.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are The Steelers Good or Just Lucky? - JS-Steelerfan - 02-16-2018, 01:43 AM