4. Cleveland Browns (from Texans) Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
5. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade) Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
6. New York Jets Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
8. Chicago Bears Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
9. San Francisco 49ers Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
10. Oakland Raiders Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
11. Miami Dolphins Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

The top remaining players, by many people's estimations would contain names such as:
Vita Vea DT Washington
Tremaine Edwards LB Virginia Tech
Billy Price C Ohio State
Derwin James S Florida State
Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
Will Hernandez OG UTEP
Denzel Ward CB Ohio State
Connor Williams OT Texas
Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
Marcus Davenport DE Texas-San Antonio

The mock draft ends up with us draftin Connor Williams OT Texas
Quote:Connor Williams, OT, Texas. Based on his 2016 film, Williams would be a top-10 lock. In 2017, he started strong, hurt his knee and had some bumps upon returning. As one of the youngest players in this draft, he has room to grow as a player.

And I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this...
I mean, on the one hand, he was a very well regarded prospect last year prior to his injury. But he had such a bad season after coming back from injury and, coming off the colossal bust that is Cedric Ogbuehi, it just seems risky to go for another athletic OT generally lacking in strength who is coming off of a relatively serious injury.

I know the same could be said about when we drafted Anthony Muñoz, but I dunno. Which is more common? An injury prone high potential player ending up like Anthony Muñoz or Cedric Ogbuehi? I feel like the answer is the latter...

I personally think I'd take Edwards, Price (who I think will see his stock rise to the appropriate point over the course of the off season) or McGlinchey over Williams.

Yes, McGlinchey is a safer pick and is already being projected to be a "solid starting LT that won't ever make a pro bowl" but I feel like that would be a nice improvement compared to what we have no and what Williams has a pretty good chance of ending up as in this league. You always want to go with the splashy player, but sometimes your team needs good, solid players.

As the off season goes on, one name to look for is Kolton Miller, who could end up raising his stock at the combine due his natural gifts. So maybe he enters the conversation soon?

I also know many people are intrigued by the idea of Derwin James to give us a playmaking safety that we haven't really had since (to a lesser extent) Reggie Nelson (and our defense has suffered a bit since he left).

So, given this "unbiased" mock draft, what would you do? There are certainly a lot of intriguing players available at #12.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Who would you take in this mock draft? - CJD - 02-12-2018, 02:40 PM