Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA
Bucky Brooks loves him some AJM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

Quote:QB QUESTION: Is AJ McCarron an NFL starter?
Yes!

I don't know why the mere suggestion of McCarron as a potential starting quarterback elicits such a strong response from scouts, writers and the Twitter-verse, but the naysayers questioning the former Heisman Trophy runner-up's ability to lead a team as a QB1 continue to get it wrong. In a league where we're about to see Kirk Cousins break the bank as the hottest quarterback on the market and Case Keenum and Nick Foles championed as viable starters, there is no doubt in my mind that McCarron can be a No. 1 guy on a team in need of a quarterback.

While that suggestion might make you spit out your coffee or roll your eyes, I will double down on my belief in the fifth-year pro. Since the 2014 pre-draft process, I've touted McCarron as an intriguing quarterback prospect with all of the tools needed to be a winner in this league. From his winning pedigree (36-4 career record as a starter for the Crimson Tide, with a pair of national titles) to his keen understanding of situational football and efficient numbers (77:15 TD-to-INT ratio with a 66.9 percent completion rate) to his competitive arrogance and underrated passing skills, I believed he checked off all of the boxes coming out of Alabama to be a quality NFL starter.

Now, I certainly understood why some scouts weren't fully on board with my assessment, based on questions about McCarron's arm strength and lack of athleticism. But I believed his intangibles (confidence, work ethic, football IQ and leadership skills) exceeded his physical deficiencies. And I would've taken him with a first-round pick -- if I had a strong supporting cast in place that would allow him to play as a game manager or complementary playmaker under center.

Although the rest of the league didn't share my high opinion of McCarron -- as evidenced by his selection in the fifth round behind guys like Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Tom Savage and Aaron Murray -- I remained optimistic about his chances after speaking to several Bengals coaches about his progress as a player during his first few years with the team. And I've heard positive reviews from other league folks outside of the organization, too.

"I like him for what he is," an NFC pro personnel director told me. "He's a limited passer, but coming from Alabama, he's a winner, and he's proved that he knows how to play team football. He doesn't have to have crazy passing numbers to win. That's important."

On the field, his play during the preseason suggested that he would perform well when given a chance to play with the No. 1s, and he didn't disappoint when he had his shot to run the team at the end of the 2015 campaign, following an Andy Dalton injury. McCarron not only stepped in and played efficiently as a starter -- 66.4 percent completion rate, 6:2 TD-to-INT ratio and a 97.1 passer rating in seven regular-season appearances (three starts) -- but he had the Bengals on the verge of winning their first playoff game under Marvin Lewis, delivering a would-be game-winning toss to A.J. Green with less than two minutes remaining in the game. Of course, McCarron's teammates proceeded to completely melt down, handing the game to Pittsburgh.

With those positive McCarron moments still etched in my memory bank, I remain convinced he will be a solid starter in the league if he's put in the right situation. In an ideal world, McCarron would land with a team that has three things in place that'll allow him to succeed: a strong defense, a solid running game and a legitimate No. 1 receiver.

Although I'm bullish on McCarron's prospects as a QB1, I also know that he is a "trailer" in need of a solid supporting cast to allow him to play to his strengths as a game manager. Some options:

Arizona Cardinals: Steve Wilks' squad checks off all of the boxes needed to help McCarron thrive. The team has a stout defense in place and the offense features a pair of playmakers (Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson) who would allow McCarron to grow into the role as a starter. With Mike McCoy adept at building an offense around the talents of his quarterback, McCarron could prosper quickly in the desert as the Cardinals' new QB1.

Denver Broncos: After missing out on the playoffs due to inept quarterback play, the Broncos could return to prominence with a solid starter under center. While McCarron lacks the marquee name that would excite the fan base, he is an efficient passer capable of getting the ball into the hands of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders on the perimeter. In addition, he takes excellent care of the football, which will keep the defense out of harm's way and allow the team to return to the formula that led to a Super Bowl victory a few seasons ago.

Buffalo Bills: If the team moves on from Tyrod Taylor -- and it seems to me like they might be trying to create a trade market for him right now -- McCarron could be the right guy to replace him as the new QB1. He knows how to play winning football in a blue-collar fashion and his Alabama ties could make him an ideal fit in Brian Daboll's scheme. With Sean McDermott intent on rebuilding the winning culture in Buffalo, McCarron's pedigree could serve him well as the new starter in Buffalo.

Cleveland Browns: I have to put the Browns on the list based on McCarron's ties with Hue Jackson and the aborted trade from last season, but I'm not really convinced this is the right spot for him. The team's defense isn't quite up to par and the only wideout worth a salt is Josh Gordon. Throw in the probability of the team using the No. 1 overall pick on a quarterback, and I just don't know if this is a spot where McCarron would flourish in 2018.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McCarron wins grievance, will be UFA - bfine32 - 02-24-2018, 02:16 PM