Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cop tailgated me at night time and then gave me a ticket for speeding lol
(03-12-2018, 09:56 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: There are certainly asshole cops out there, just like any profession. I remember getting a ticket for going 35 in a 30 on a sunny July afternoon.

That said, speeding up and moving left was about the stupidest thing you can do in that situation. Speeding up and moving left is reserved for merging and overtaking. Best way to deal with a tailgater is to move right and let up off the gas to get them out of the way faster. Once they're by, resume normal driving.

It's suppose it's possible this cop was just out to get someone, but you essentially gave him or her the definition of erratic driving. Not sure about your state, but in many states moving to the left without passing is a tickets left offense itself.

Next time just move right and let up off the gas a bit.

I didn't speed up in move left in the first maneuver, though. It started in the middle lane with this guy right on my ass, so I went into the left lane after a bit. He immediately followed and was still on my ass, so i went back to the middle lane. He immediately went back right behind me, so I immediately went back to the left lane - and he put his lights on! To me he was baiting the whole time, and I'd venture to say I didn't hit 80 (he said I was going 80 for a mile, lol!) - I've had my FIT for 8 years now, it takes a long time to accelerate at those speeds. I was certainly going 75, which is over the speed limit, but he played a game there. I'll pull into the right lane next time, and if I see him still follow, I don't know, I'd probably still accelerate. Uncomfortable as hell lol. I think if he said I was driving erratically, I would have had an easier opening to tell him why. The speeding thing was just a little bit more for me to talk out of (because I'm sure i was speeding by any definition after that).

I've been in a lot of f'd up hilaroius road rage scenarios. I've had people crumple up mcdonalds coffee cups and throw them at my car (on the Highway), hitting my windshield in a convertible. People clenching their first and punching the palm of their hand while looking at me. People pulling into the right lane and waving me over - probably to beat my ass (who in their right mind is going to stop?). I've had my fair shade of speeding incidents in the past that I can admit to, but this one seemed different lol. There have been times I don't even know what I did wrong! The other times I probably 'started it" by flicking my bright lights at them after they did something dangerous, in my old age that has all stopped lol.

Yeah, I've had the book thrown at me before. The cop cited me for running a stop sign, erratic swerving, speeding, driving without a seat belt. I ran the stop sign (in the neighborhood, right turn) at 0.5 mph when I saw nobody there (seriously, who actually makes a FULL stop at those? lol), driving left to right to dodge the cars parked on both sides of the street in the neighborhood (I think that's illegal in itself!), going 25 in a 25 (fast for a neighborhood but it was definitely at the limit), and I took my belt off to get my insurance card out (dumbest thing ever, but these are the things you do when you don't have much experience with cops). I'm totally uncomfortable driving without a seat belt. It was hilaroius because I had to go to downtown court for those offenses, and the judge said the fine carries $500 or 30 days in jail. There were others in the courtroom that were driving with suspended licenses AND babies in the front seat/etc., and I was going to go to jail for running a stop sign in a neighborhood at 0.5mph with nobody else around, first thought in my head. I don't know how I held my laugh. I did tell the cop woh pulled me over that I barely was moving through that stop, he said your car has to shake when it stops - lol. He's right for sure, but he could ticket a whole lot of people. Offensive holding.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cop tailgated me at night time and then gave me a ticket for speeding lol - reuben.ahmed - 03-12-2018, 09:13 PM