Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever Hear Stories That Make You Go "WOW"?
I get to read all kinds of court depositions since my girlfriend is a scopist.  In case you don't know, from one scopist school. ...
"Simply stated, a scopist’s job is to edit transcripts written by court reporters on stenotype machines into readable, easily understood English.
The official NCRA definition is: “A scopist is one who edits a transcript translated by CAT (Computer-Aided Transcription) software into English, correcting mistrans/untrans of steno notes, employing proper punctuation, English, and format.” So there you have it in a nutshell! "

If you've ever seen actual court transcripts they're very difficult to read so the scopist transcribes them into easily readable formats.. She's been doing it for over 40 years now and is an absolutely amazing typist.. 
Some of the depositions would blow you away with some of the saddest stories you can imagine..
I lived in homeless shelters for a good while and some of the stories guys had were gut wrenching stuff. One guy I know lost his entire family, 4 kids ,his wife, house and the works when his house burned down. He wasn't insured and had just finished paying off the mortgage . When I first met him he was drinking really heavy, staying doped up and so on ,but  he pulled it back together, remarried and got into a small apartment. I remember how happy he was just getting that little apartment. Heck , I remember when I first got my room at the YMCA. It was a tiny room and the bathroom was down the hall and I had to share with everyone else on the 7th floor, but I had my own door and could lock my door . That doesn't sound like much to most people, but after living on a floor with 70 other guys with just a tiny locker to keep my stuff in that little room at the Y with my own door and key seemed like a palace to me at the time.. It's easy to take things for granted .I had lost everything I owned and was living in a shed in Texas for about 6-7 years before moving back to Ohio and the shelters. I moved to SC to take care of my dad then meet my current girlfriend . My life has changed dramatically for the better . 
While I don't trust many people I'm always happy and willing to help out someone with a sad story and even if it's all BS and they might just get drunk with the money I might give them it might also change their life.  It's not my job to find fault with people . I've been down some dark times and  people have helped me when I didn't deserve it.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ever Hear Stories That Make You Go "WOW"? - grampahol - 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM