Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB coach Van Pelt making Dalton practise throwing under pressure
(06-08-2018, 10:52 AM)dnkw Wrote: Van Pelt has brought some new drills emphasizing passes under duress. After getting sacked 19 times in 11 starts as a backup for nine NFL seasons, Van Pelt knows getting a clean look for a passer isn't always easy.

Under Alex Van Pelt the Bengals QBs are working on making throws under the gun.

I'm all for him trying to improve on this, although it does beg the question of how much he has actually worked on this before.   

And the sense I get is, not enough - nor stressing the specific mechanics with which to deal with it.

So we'll have to see.  Everything is all so easy to talk about.  They love Paul Alexander in Dallas.

Sometimes it's just starting out with new guys.  But I'd unrealistically like to think there is some new coaching techniques being applied.  And if anyone is the model for dealing with unscripted situations and out of pocket experiences it's Rogers.  And if nothing else Van Pelt was around to know the inside story on how Rogers dealt with that situation.   If there was truly intentional techniques that made Rogers better at dealing with that type of thing I'm at least modestly hopeful.

Dalton has been abysmal at that type of thing.    Here's a thing I like:   Van Pelt saying that Dalton is a very underrated QB.   And I have to say, when Dalton looks good, he looks really good.  He has good zip on the ball, can be extremely accurate, throwing the receiver open, and has a totally underrated intermediate to long ball.

I was very excited by the article.   Here's hoping there is true substance to what Pollack and Van Pelt appear to be bringing to this team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: QB coach Van Pelt making Dalton practise throwing under pressure - 3wt - 06-08-2018, 12:04 PM