Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's more important to the Bengals.....
(07-10-2018, 02:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Our offensive line or our defensive line?  If your Mike Brown, should you invest more money into protecting the most important figure, QB, or do you put your money on the people that are out to hurt the other team's QB, the DL? 

This went round and round on ESPN the other morning, and it is a challenging debate.  

I would lean more to offensive line for several reasons:  First, because it protects your most important player, the QB.  Second, a strong defensive line doesn't mean you have a great defense.  We had a very solid front four, but poor LB play that couldn't stop the run or cover TEs/RBs out of the backfield.  A team with a good offensive line can generally run the ball well and run play-action to move the ball down the field.  They are also able to sustain longer drives, helping your defense.  

It just seems to me that unless you have a front four that can consistently get pressure without blitzing, it just seems like teams can go maximum protection and hold the ball until someone is open or check it down to a running back.  In other words, I see a lot of decent offensive lines that can scheme against a really good front four.  Look at the Super Bowl:  Aside from one big play that knocked the ball out of Brady's hand, the offenses were unstoppable because they had great offensive lines and a great scheme.  

The rules favor offense, and spending all your budget on a position group where the game is set against them and it is easier to scheme against doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Just my two cents.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's more important to the Bengals..... - SHRacerX - 07-11-2018, 07:21 AM