Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Manager 2019
(08-17-2018, 01:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Okay, I must ask the question. Do the Reds hire Riggleman as the manager next year or not? My personal belief is the Reds will not offer the job right away after the season ends. They will probably interview multiple candidates and there are some interesting prospects available. However, I think Riggleman gets an interview and consideration at the very least. He has done a good job with a team that had tanked early and could not recover. There is always the Barry Larkin crowd. Who would you consider? I personally like Matheny.
I like catchers as managers because who better to go out to the mound.  They were in on every play, they know catching, pitching, calling pitches,where defenses should line up, and hitting on offense and defense.  This has made catchers some of the better managers in the game.  Now the ex Red and Chicago Cub World Series Champion Star for first time in over 100 years is Dan Ross.  Here is a Reds World Series catcher that has minor league managing experience. He is a very good manager in the top notch Boston Red Sox organization.  JOE OLIVER.  If it were me, I would offer Joe Oliver the managers job with the Reds. I'm sure he would leave the Red Sox for a major league managers job.  

So I'm looking at JOE OLIVER, or Dan Ross or even Corky Miller who is already on staff with the Reds.  I like catchers as managers. Catchers often make good managers.  Mostly JOE OLIVER because like Sparky Anderson he wins as at the minor league level. When hired, fans wondered who the heck is Sparky Anderson. Winning is winning. I really think Joe Oliver has been a winner in the majors as a player and in the minors as a manager with Red Sox and I think he can win with Reds.

However if Reds hire Barry Larkin, if nothing else, it would sell a few more tickets.  Barry Larkin is already on Reds staff, so it would be an in house promotion. Larkins advantage is that being with the Reds staff, he already knows these Reds players abilities.

In the end, Reds put a lot of money into the ball park and statues.  That's great, but....but now it's time to cut back on ball park spending and put money into putting a good team on the field. This team is lousy and has been for the last 4 years. Cut back on statues and put more money into winning ball players. Don't add seats, don't add statues, don't add sports bars, don't add dining areas, don't add bobble head dolls. Instead add quality ball players. It's way past time to get out of last place in 2019.

Again, I'm old and have watched the Reds since 1965. The best catcher I've ever seen was Johnny Bench and he didn't want to manage saying he liked playing golf. He also said Reds never asked him, which I think is a mistake. The closest catcher to Bench to me was Joe Oliver. Don't throw stats at me, because I am NOT talking stats. I'm talking how in 1990 Championship year, he is only Reds catcher to throw not to just 2nd, but down to 1st or 3rd trying pick offs as Bench did. If nothing else, it kept Reds defense on their toes every play. Oliver was a clutch hitter for Championship Reds, but his catching behind plate was the closest thing to Bench. He could really control a game back there. You won't find that in any stats or how Yogi Berra or Roy Campanella could handle the pitchers, but it is key.

Catchers handle pitchers and make good managers. Reds weakness is pitching. ANSWER : A manger that was a catcher. They make good managers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Manager 2019 - guyofthetiger - 08-17-2018, 01:45 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - guyofthetiger - 08-17-2018, 01:49 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - Hoofhearted - 08-17-2018, 12:28 PM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - guyofthetiger - 08-18-2018, 11:19 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - grampahol - 08-20-2018, 11:04 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - TheLeonardLeap - 08-17-2018, 02:29 PM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - kevin - 08-21-2018, 08:42 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - guyofthetiger - 08-22-2018, 11:34 AM
RE: Reds Manager 2019 - bengalfan74 - 08-29-2018, 10:45 AM