Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning almost hit my house, fried most of my electronics and AC
Well that was interesting last night during a thunderstorm. I was on the sofa around 7:30 last night watching TV and suddenly heard this super load screech followed by a boom. It sounded like a missile hit my yard. It almost knocked me off the sofa. The first thing I did was go outside and make sure my roof was not on fire. The neighbors across the street came out and asked if it hit my house because apparently they saw it happen. House was not on fire so that was a relief.

Bad thing my cable modem, DVR, PS4, Roku, and stereo system were fried. My whole house smelled of burning electronics. It also blew out my AC system, fried the charger for my Macbook, and somehow fried the switch that opens my garage door. I'm guessing some of the electricity must of come through coaxial cable and then ran through the HDMI cables. I think that is why it fried the modem and DVR because they are hooked up to coaxial. It didn't toast my wifi router that was connected to the modem via Cat5. The DVR was connected via HDMI to my stereo. Stereo also had in connections from PS4 and Roku. So I think the charge went through the coaxial then through the HDMI cables.

Somehow my TV was spared but I think maybe that was because it fried my stereo before hitting the TV as the HDMI out goes from stereo to TV. Another reason I think that was the cause is because my surge protectors didn't trip at all and my lamp and security system plugged in to the same outlets as the surge protectors didn't get fried.

So now it is supper hot and I have no AC. I took the fried modem and DVR to Spectrum and exchanged them for new. So at least I have TV and Internet now. I can't get the AC repaired or replaced for now. Insurance company is sending someone Monday to verify that the lightning was what fried my AC. Of course it did, AC was working fine, lightning damn near hit my house, fried a bunch of my electronics and now it doesn't work. But I understand the process.

Sorry just venting. Thank goodness it didn't actually hit my house and burn it down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Lightning almost hit my house, fried most of my electronics and AC - George Cantstandya - 09-06-2018, 05:01 PM