Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 5 big questions ?
(10-01-2018, 11:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/5-questions-for-the-reds-in-the-offseason/c-296735754

1. Who is gonna be the Mgr. ?

I heard Marty on the radio a couple days ago saying it looked like John Farrell had the inside track.

2. Can the Reds improve their starting pitching ?

I don't think the Reds can afford to not improve their starting pitching. They have to make a real effort ! They can't just sign a couple
journeymen. Williams said the Reds are in a position to spend significantly more money this offseason.

3.Will B. Hamilton be moved ?

I'm still kinda sorta on the fence about this, it's hard for me to believe he can;t learn to bunt and be a contact hitter. If they do move him I
hope they get something in return. And I won't be heartbroken.

4. When will Nick Senzel be ready ?

Can he go to the outfield ?

5. Will Scooter Gennett get a multi year contract ?

I hope so, yes he's not BP on defense but you gotta love his bat and heart.

My 6th. Will the Reds give Bailey his walking papers ?

I don't see how they can bring him back without a fan mutiny.

1. I've also heard that Farrell has the inside track. I'll repeat what I said after we hired Price:

I wish this organization would actually look outside itself on occasion. Just like your whole starting rotation is not just sitting in the minors, the manager is not currently an assistant on your coaching staff... They hired him to be a scout in March of this year. If they wanted him as their manager, they should have just brought him on right then. Because we all knew Price was not getting out of this season. And then, after Price was fired...why not make Farrell the manager then? Why go to Riggleman?

This seems very much the owner was like "okay, what's around? Oh hey John. Wanna be our new manager? Okay, cool. Glad that's done. A search well managed..."

2. I think Castillo is worth keeping. Mahle and Lorenzen are worth keeping as a 4th and maybe 5th option. That means we have a #1 and a #2 to fill on this starting rotation. I don't think it's acceptable to have Mahle or Lorenzen as a #3 or higher pitcher in this rotation. They desperately need to actually give a **** and sign someone in the off season with 3.50 ERA potential, if not 2. The problem is those players are expensive as hell. I don't think there is a single starter among Stephenson, Romano, Reed, Disco and Garrett. Maybe we get lucky and one of those guys becomes serviceable, but relying on them would be a huge mistake. I know Gutierrez and Santillan are in the minors and have looked very good the last few years. But they'd be rookies and you can't expect a rookie to be a #3 or higher pitcher. We need to go and sign the equivalent of a Jon Lester-esque deal (6 year 155 million back in 2015). I'd target Dallas Keuchel and Patrick Corbin. There are a lot of older pitchers out there as well that we may be able to sign for relatively cheaper, but I think we need to get one of the younger players that we can have on the top of our rotation for the next 4 to 6 years (like Keuchel and Corbin).

Do I think the Reds will? No. Not at all. But it's what they'll need to do if they want to compete next year. And, if that's not the goal in 2019, then I frankly don't even give a shit about this team anymore.

3. God I hope so. Hamilton is a waste of Batting Appearances. I'd trade him for a bag of chips, to be honest. I was so excited when he was claimed on waivers, only for the Reds to retract him...

4. All indications are that Senzel will be ready to be a starter on this team somewhere out of Spring Training next season. I don't know where he'll end up. I'm hoping Center Field (after we get rid of our current center fielder). I dunno where else he fits other than the outfield. You're not taking Scooter, Suarez or Peraza out of the lineup when your biggest weaknesses offensively sit in the outfield. I would like to see them go with Schebler or Senzel in Center with Winker and the other in the corners. My starting lineup would be:

1. Schebler/Winker
2. Peraza
3. Votto
4. Suarez
5. Gennett
6. Winker/Schebler
7. Senzel
8. Barnhart
9. Pitcher slot

Tell me that lineup does not look incredibly appealing. Having a hitter as talented as Senzel in the 7 slot really is a testament to the potential this offense has.

5. Well, they didn't trade him when he was leading the NL in batting average...So they damn well better sign him to a long term contract. Otherwise, what was this all for?

And please, God, let us be rid of Bailey. I know his whole contract is guaranteed so there's no saving money by cutting him like in the NFL. But by that same logic, you're not losing any money by cutting him either. He has already proven that he is not worthy of being on a baseball field anymore, so why even keep him around? He's a literal waste of a roster spot.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds 5 big questions ? - bengalfan74 - 10-01-2018, 11:25 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - CJD - 10-02-2018, 09:00 AM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - Hoofhearted - 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - bengalfan74 - 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - Hoofhearted - 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - CJD - 10-03-2018, 07:42 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - Hoofhearted - 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - Hoofhearted - 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - bengalfan74 - 10-03-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Reds 5 big questions ? - Hoofhearted - 10-04-2018, 08:27 AM