Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do Bengals Give Up More 3rd Downs Than Any NFL Team ?
The blocking on offense we knew. They traded, drafted, brought in free agents, brought in new O Line coach. Everybody knows the blocking has to improve over the last 2 years.

Why do the Bengals give up more 3rd downs on defense than any team in NFL ? I can't believe they have the worst players. What are they doing on 3rd down that's so wrong. What are other teams doing right ? They changed defensive coaches, still have so called D Guru Marvin, yet they keep giving up 3rd downs. Is it Hall and Nelson gone who made key interceptions and the new DB's drop most pick chances ? I don't know, I'm not an NFL coach. Bengals must be doing something completely wrong on 3rd downs on D to be worst in NFL.

So besides watching if blocking is failing at protecting Dalton , and not blocking for run yards in a game. I'm also going to be watching our Defense on 3rd downs. If that doesn't improve, team can't improve.

What are defenses doing to us on 3rd down that we aren't doing ? What are the other 31 teams doing that we aren't doing ? It's a puzzle the Bengals must solve. They can not remain the worst NFL team on 3rd down defense every year and expect play-offs. They have to be doing something completely wrong, but what is it ?

I do remember Al Davis of Raiders saying the answer to stopping John Elway is keep his butt on the ground. I know the 64 Browns beat Johnny Unitas by not letting him sit in the pocket. Maybe we aren't collapsing the pocket. When Bengals continue to give up more 3rd downs than anybody, there has to be something defense is doing wrong. I know other D's get after Dalton on 3rd down, and good D's sack him or have him throwing out of bounds.

If Chiefs pick up 3rd downs all game, and next week Tampa picks up 3rd downs all game, it will show coaches haven't figured it out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Why Do Bengals Give Up More 3rd Downs Than Any NFL Team ? - kevin - 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM