Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense (Deep-Dive Analysis using PFF Ratings)
Hello all,

I feel like the Bye Week is a good time for this so I'll start with the defense. If it is well received, I'll do the offense.

I think the ratings show that our defensive line is pretty good. The Linebackers are pretty bad. Our Safeties are good. And our CB's are mediocre...which for having 3 1st Round picks is bad.

DL - DI:
Atkins - 89.2 - High Quality - #11 DI. He was rated as Elite for most of the season. 90+ is elite.
Billings - 73.7 - #27 DI. Ranks as Good. (He's MUCH BETTER than people give him credit for. He's kind of our modern day Peko as people see no sacks and think he's bad.)
Glasgow - Was rated 84.1 which is High Quality - HUGE LOSS.
Hubbard - 53.5 - #101 DI. Ranks as Average. He's had some nice splash plays on the year, but his rating shows he's struggled overall.
Washington - 73.4 in his limited play this season.

DL - ED
Dunlap - 78.5 - Good - #17 Edge
Willis - 62.9 - Above Average - #67 Edge - He's been kind of disappointing this year.
Lawson - 79.3 - #13 ED - HUGE loss losing him for the year. While he didn't get sacks, he got good pressure.
MJ - 54.2 - #99 Edge - He's struggling this year and with the loss of Lawson, MJ will be relied on more. Probably should have moved on from him in the offseason.

LB - Clearly this group of players is struggling and bringing down the overall defense. Really no one on this group looks stellar.
Vigil 69.2 - #23 LB
Evans 57.7 - #53 LB
Burfict 60.7 - Not enough snaps to be rated. He's struggled so far this season. 60.7 is WAY BELOW his standard.
Brown - 52.8 - #65 LB. He's putting up decent tackle stats...but 52.8 is not a good rating overall.
Nickerson 41.8 - #77 LB. Wow...his rating is way below what we need out of him.

CB
Kirkpatrick - 62.3 - #59 CB. He's been ranked higher for most of the year and dropped a lot lately.
Dennard - 61.9 - #62 CB.
Jackson - 64.4 - #52 CB. Really disappointing as he was rated extremely high last season. I guess he's been exposed in full-time play as a starter.
Note: It considers ratings in the 60's as above average, but you figure each team has 2 starters...and if our starters rank in the 50's and 60's...then that's not good.
Phillips - 56.8 in limited play.

Safety
Williams - 63.2 - #57 Safety.
Fej - 91.0 - Not enough snaps to be rated...but 91.0 ranks as Elite. He has the highest rating of any defender on our team. HE NEEDS TO PLAY MORE!
Bates - 83.8 - #4 Safety - High Quality.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Defense (Deep-Dive Analysis using PFF Ratings) - THE PISTONS - 11-03-2018, 11:38 PM