Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You ever look at a globe or world map?
(11-09-2018, 01:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Maps are very deceiving because they're to scale. You couldn't make a map the actual size of a city much less a country to be of any use whatsoever and maps are almost all in one or two dimensions while the real world is 3 and 4 dimensions. Most maps can't accurately depict hills and valleys, changes in weather conditions and the like, traffic, stop signs, etc. A map of a road that winds up a mountain might look like a hop, skip and a jump. When I was in Job Corps in Montana there was a lake that on the map appeared to  be a short walk, but we tried 3 different times to hike there starting early in the morning and never once made it there before catching rides back down the mountain and the maps never take into account bears, cold weather in the dead of summer, how utterly exausted we would get as the air thinned, etc.. 

My dad was on the troop train heading for San Fran on his way to Korea. They laid over at Flagstaff. Flagstaff is near Humphrey's Peak, a mountain. My dad's buddy said to him, "Hey! Let's head over to the mountain. It's just right over there!". So they set out on foot.

Two hours later, they turned around and headed back.

For the rest of his life, that became one of my dad's favorite joke sayings.... "Hey! It's just right over there!"
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: You ever look at a globe or world map? - Bengalzona - 11-10-2018, 01:26 AM