Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many owners would keep a coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years?
(12-29-2018, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. No owner outside of MB would tolerate 0-7 in the playoffs. Yet it seems he fears losing Marvin.

Yeah, it really is crazy, and just look at his history with the coaches he's hired:

He gave Dave Shula a 2 year extension after going 8-24 in his first couple of seasons, and didn't fire him until he had lost 73% of his games and had turned the Bengals into the butt of every NFL joke.

He tried to talk Bruce Coslet out of quitting, even after a 7-28 stretch where they were just getting embarrassed week after week. 

He let LeBeau walk after his contract expired following a 2 win season, but didn't sound all that crazy about doing so, as he insisted the season had been 'competitive' and 'better than their record'...stating ''I can say the things I'm saying, and really nobody wants to hear them. I can believe it, but no one else cares." I honestly wonder if LeBeau had another year left on his contract, if Mike would've brought him back.

And then there's Marvin, who was re-signed after going 60-67-1 in his first 8 seasons and after 2016, when he was 0-7 in the playoffs and coming off back to back losing seasons. That's not counting all the extensions in between, especially the head scratching ones after the Chargers and Steelers meltdowns.

Mike is insanely loyal to his coaches, even if it's to the obvious detriment of the team.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How many owners would keep a coach who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years? - Bengalholic - 12-29-2018, 02:55 PM