Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State Haskins will be Great NFL QB
(12-27-2018, 01:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: A lot of the things OSU does involves pro concepts, but these are things that are tools at the pro level that are crutches at OSU.  For example, the first drive of the second half against Purdue, they just marched down the field with screen passes.  The first drive against Michigan was just crossing patterns over and over again.  When you have the athletes OSU does, you can do that.  You can mix that in in the NFL, but you can't just rely on it play after play.

He does a good job with his reads and finding the open guy, but that's made a lot easier by having guys that are open by 2+ yards.  However, that in itself is a concern.  What he considers open at OSU is light years away from open in the NFL.  You see a lot of QB's that are good at reading defenses in college turn into check down machines in the NFL, or worse, sit there and eat sacks because they don't trust their reads and don't trust their arm to squeeze one in.  You'd like to see a guy that's a little more of a gunslinger and can consistently make throws into tight windows.  

You just described the Rams offense with a stretch run and a deep crosser. The rams live on mesh concepts many off the stretch play action from a tight 11 and 12 personnel. They are actually proving that simplifying the offense and being really good at a couple concepts can make an offense really good.

I'll disagree, you see a lot of guys coming out of college that were only asked to read half a field Haskins was not. I'll take a guy who eats sacks early over turning the ball over, especially early on in their development. No doubt in my mind he'd be comfortable playing in a west coast offense day 1 as the carry over would be simple. A lot of Air Raid concepts are making their way into the NFL and you saw OSU incorporate some of that stuff in. Their scheme is actually a power run scheme with spread and air raid concepts. They attack laterally then use that as the misdirection for some of the combination shot plays they run. You can see that with a lot of the wheel routes they like to run with deep posts inside to beat cover 3. 

Go watch the Rams offense and what Goff did this year and tell me he isn't running a similar offense right now from a spread look. Rams prefer it from tight, but the sentiment stands he can be Jared Goff with the right scheme and coordinator.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio State Haskins will be Great NFL QB - Au165 - 12-27-2018, 01:44 PM