Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Early Mock
Here's my case for why it would make sense to go DE in round 1: 

1.  The D-line isn't getting it done.  So far the D is ranked dead last in giving up rushing yards and is tied for 26th place in sacks.  That all starts up front.
2.  Pass rush is a premium skill.  Nothing helps a defense like a good pass rush.  Coming in at a close second may be the ability of a D-line to shut down the run.  The capability to speed up an opposing QB's internal clock, make them or their coaching staff fear for the QB's comfort/safety, and ultimately the capability to neutralize the other teams's most valuable position shouldn't be underestimated.  Freeney and Mathis stole two Super Bowls from BB and Brady - this should never be forgotten.
3.  The state of the roster.  Dunlap and Atkins are both really good players, but not the types of guys who you want to take every snap of a game.  Lawson and Hubbard have shown promise, but haven't earned bona-fide "good/elite starter" status.  Looking beyond the d-line, or defense for that matter, the current roster has quite a few holes.  Paraphrasing many great NFL minds, "There isn't much point in drafting a certain position if you don't wind up drafting a good player."  The Bengals need to start hitting big with their first rounders if they ever want to crack top third in the league status.
4.  The depth of the class.  I like quite a few of the pass rushers in this class.  At least 2 or 3 of the DTs and some of the lb/edge guys will be gone by the time that the Bengals pick.  I really like Q. Willams and White, but would expect them both to be gone. Oliver and Brown may not be great DTs if not allowed to run wild and get after the QB. Should the draft fall to where a DE looks to be the BPA, I don't see how the Bengals can logically pass that player up. I really like both Ferrell and Allen.

As for neglecting LB and TE:  I don't like it either, but this is not the 2015 Bengals roster.  Realistically, they are going to have to pick their poison with which "weak spots" they are going to neglect in the draft.  Do you try to protect your QB with young o-line, help your d-line, go straight BPA, or do you bet on young guys being better than Vigil/Evans/Thompson/Bell?  I think that the Bengals understand that they don't have the depth or elite starting talent to sit on their hands at any position, and should go with their best options available.  My opinion is admittedly skewed here:  I lean toward the old Andy Reid(among others) build through the trenches way of thinking.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Too Early Mock - Bilbo Saggins - 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM
RE: Too Early Mock - ochocincos - 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM
RE: Too Early Mock - Bilbo Saggins - 12-14-2018, 05:41 AM
RE: Too Early Mock - SunsetBengal - 12-14-2018, 09:37 AM
RE: Too Early Mock - Bilbo Saggins - 12-16-2018, 02:19 AM
RE: Too Early Mock - Goalpost - 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM
RE: Too Early Mock - Whatever - 12-16-2018, 02:37 AM
RE: Too Early Mock - Jojo the Circus Boy - 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM
RE: Too Early Mock - Moorne - 12-18-2018, 05:02 PM
RE: Too Early Mock - Jpoore - 12-20-2018, 11:47 PM