Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft
(01-13-2019, 01:13 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I think your numbers are way off. If we spend all that money we have no money to pay the rookies, no money for extensions (and we should extend Boyd this summer), no money for an injury pad, and many of those sites only count the top 51, rather than 53, players. All that typically costs 15-17 million.

Overthecap.com says we have 52 million. Once we cut Burfict, and we will, we have about 58 million. Then we need to make offers to some of our RFA and ERFA players, including (Redmond, Hopkins, Tupou, McRae and Wilson; whether we let a guy like Tupou walk is immaterial). Hopkins is complicated, because an original round tender is about 2 million, but not compensation if we lose him. A 2nd round tender is about 3 million, and we're virtually guaranteed to keep him. I think we lose him if we only pay 2 million, so I'm going to figure on 3 million. The other 4 get minimum salary, bringing us back down to a little over 55 million.

Put the transition tag on Denard, at 12.224 million, brings us down to 43.6 million (rounding). Corners are expensive, and we need them in a passing league. Nickel CB spends more time on the field than a third LB, so we drop some cash on this. Kirkpatrick isn't going anywhere either.

Re-sign Uzomah to an APY of about 5 million, bringing us down to 39 million. Gutty player in an otherwise empty TE room.

External free agents: Sign Ja'Waun James from the Dolphins for an APY of about 10 million. Just to be conservative I'm going to say 11 million. Then sign Jordan Hicks from Philly, APY of about 6 million. New coach Taylor has a connection to James from Miami days, and Hicks is a Cincy product. This brings us down to 24.3 million.

So if we want to pay our rookies, extend Boyd, be able to sign anybody at all when guys get hurt next year, etc, we then have 6-7 million left, not 24.3 million.

We use that on some combination of OT depth, Michael Johnson, Preston Brown, back up FS, etc. Just for the sake of argument, I'm going to say Preston Brown at 1 year, 4 million, Bobby Hart at 1 year, 2.5 million, and a safety like Kurt Coleman, whom New Orleans is sure to cut, at 1 year, 2 million. This brings us to 17.6 million. You figure in minimum type contracts for guys like Vinny Rey, Matt Lengel, and 2-3 minimum salary vets, and we're around or slightly under 17 million.

*This* is realistic. I'm telling you, use the free agency calculator at Overthecap.com, it's far better for thinking up an offseason: https://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals/

Then in the first round pick a blue chip defender at any position other than safety, and a TE on day 2.

I don't think I am way off. Spotrac has the breakdown. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2019/ With all of the players currently on our team. They have us at 49.8 million in cap space. That includes all the guys signed from practice squad with 58 players salaries weighed in the equation plus the dead money and roll over. So if you take off the bottom 5 contracts to get to 53 that adds another almost 2.5 million to my starting figure.

I didn't want to mention the Burfict cut because I don't want it to be true. And with the suspension for performance enhancing drugs I am sure there is an out for the remaining guaranteed money. There shouldn't be a doctor that would give him the green light to continue playing. Way too many head injuries. And we are too nice so we probably won't void the guarantees. But moving on saves us at least 5.5 million. 

And I didn't want to mention a Gio cut. But dude has what is basically a top 10 RB contract. And he didn't even have 500 combined yards. Cutting him saves another 3.75 million. Time to see what Walton can do and why we used an early pick on him. And then do like every other team and find one of the many available running backs out there that can get the job done. 

That is extra 9.25 million which is right around their usual injury cushion allowance. And any rookies coming on are taking the place of somebody already on the roster. So other than the first few picks being a little more expensive than the guys they are replacing who are already in the equation it wouldn't have a big net change. 

I'm not paying 2 or 3 million for Hopkins to be a back up. I would hang on to the other ERFAs Wilson, Mcrae, Redmond, and Topou for cheap to bring to camp. They would have even less effect on our net spend than the rookies. 

Passing all day on giving Dennard anywhere close to that kind of money. He is juuuuuuust barely out of first round bust territory. In 5 years he has 3 INTs and 16 passes defended. No freaking way can we afford to over pay another bottom of the mid tier CB. Let someone else over pay him if they want. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Uzomah around. He shouldn't cost 5 million. I would rather have James and Doyle though. Depending on Eifert's willingness to accept a super lowball incentivised contract it could be Uzi that stays instead.

I'm not ready to give Boyd an extension yet. Let him play out his contract year. Same with AJ. We can cross that bridge when we get to it. Paying Dunlap and Atkins resulted in two guys who didn't look as good as they have in the past. 

Pass on Vinny Rey, MJ, and Lengel. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft - NATI BENGALS - 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM