Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft
(01-13-2019, 06:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I didn't want to mention the Burfict cut because I don't want it to be true. And with the suspension for performance enhancing drugs I am sure there is an out for the remaining guaranteed money. There shouldn't be a doctor that would give him the green light to continue playing. Way too many head injuries. And we are too nice so we probably won't void the guarantees. But moving on saves us at least 5.5 million. 

And I didn't want to mention a Gio cut. But dude has what is basically a top 10 RB contract. And he didn't even have 500 combined yards. Cutting him saves another 3.75 million. Time to see what Walton can do and why we used an early pick on him. And then do like every other team and find one of the many available running backs out there that can get the job done. 

That is extra 9.25 million which is right around their usual injury cushion allowance. And any rookies coming on are taking the place of somebody already on the roster. So other than the first few picks being a little more expensive than the guys they are replacing who are already in the equation it wouldn't have a big net change. 

I'm not paying 2 or 3 million for Hopkins to be a back up. I would hang on to the other ERFAs Wilson, Mcrae, Redmond, and Topou for cheap to bring to camp. They would have even less effect on our net spend than the rookies. 

Passing all day on giving Dennard anywhere close to that kind of money. He is juuuuuuust barely out of first round bust territory. In 5 years he has 3 INTs and 16 passes defended. No freaking way can we afford to over pay another bottom of the mid tier CB. Let someone else over pay him if they want. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Uzomah around. He shouldn't cost 5 million. I would rather have James and Doyle though. Depending on Eifert's willingness to accept a super lowball incentivised contract it could be Uzi that stays instead.

Just a couple things.  If you're going by Over the Cap's numbers, cutting Burfict reflects a salary cap gain of 6.8M.

While I agree that Gio is overpaid for his role, Walton did nothing to impress me this season.  They might need to go to the RB well in the draft, again.

What makes you think that Hopkins would garner 2-3M/per on the open market?  Stats for 2019 show the vet minimum for a player with 4 years of experience to be a little above 700K.  I would think him to be more than happy to take a deal for 1-1.5M/per.

Completely agree with you about Dennard.  Watching this season, I now understand why they have kept him in the Slot CB role.  When they put him on the edge, he's terrible.  He plays the man's face, just like a college CB would do.  Additionally, normally height isn't really an issue with CBs, as they typically have good leaping ability.  That does not appear to be the case with Dennard.  Personally, I would rate his ability at worth of around 5-6M/per, tops.

Also agree with your opinion on Uzomah.  He's not worth 5M/per.  Based on what he's done with the Bengals, I would think that somewhere in the 1.5-2M/per, with production incentives would be fair.

Lastly, you never touched on the idea of cutting Cordy Glenn.  That is 9.5M in cap space, with 0 dead money to consider.  Glenn did not play anywhere close to what his salary would indicate.  The Bengals could take that same money and get another Tackle that would be willing to play up to expectations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dream Free Agents to Bolster Roster Before Draft - SunsetBengal - 01-13-2019, 07:12 PM