Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing currenr situation to 2011 re-build of the defense.
I think the Bengals can fix this defense fast.  Last year the Bengals were willing to bring in an OT paid in the top 10 in the league at his position and an ILB paid in the top half of the league at his.  And the Bengals have proven that they are willing to be a little aggressive in free agency.

In 2011 we signed three new starters for our defense.  The numbers don't sound high now, but they were not bad for 8 years ago.  

Nate Clements was getting old, but he was still a decent starter when we signed him at $10.5 million for 2 years.  Clements was a former Pro Bowler who had 82 tkls and 3 picks for the Niners in 2010.

Thomas Howard (2 yr $6.5 mil) had 62 career starts with 7 ints and almost 400 tkls for the Raiders.

Manny Lawson (1 yr $3 mil) had 56 starts, 14.5 sacks, and 240 tkls for the Niners.

They were 3 solid signings, and along with Geno busting out into a Pro Bowler his second year the defense moved up from 24 in points to number 9 and from 15th to 7th in yards.

Now let us look at our current situation on defense.

I have faith in our CBs.  Both Jackson and Kirkpatrick have shown they can be good starters, and Dennard has looked good at times also.  None of them are injured or old enough to be headed down hill.  I think they will be fine with better coaching.  

I also have faith in Lawson.  I know he only had 1 sack, but according to a new ESPN stat called "Pass Rush Win Rate" Lawson was 3rd in the league in beating his blocker in 2.5 seconds or quicker when he went down with injury.  He has elite skills.  If he stays healthy he can be a star.

Last year Hubbard lead all rookie D-linemen with 6 sacks and was 3rd in tackles.  Most NFL players get better after their rookie season, I have a lot of faith in Hubbard.  I think he will be a very good player for us.

Bates led all rookie DBs with 111 tkls, and his 3 ints was just one behind rookie leader Donte Jackson.  If he improves from his rookie season we have another very good player.

Geno Atkins was one of just 4 interior D-linemen with double digit sacks, and he was also near the top with 13 tacles for loss, and 19 QB hits.

Carlos Dunlap had 8 sacks but was first in the league among DEs with 8 passes defended (tipped passes) and 12th in QB hits (21).

We have a lot of talent on defense.  If get better coaching and upgraded three positions in free agency we could have a top defense again immediately.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Comparing currenr situation to 2011 re-build of the defense. - fredtoast - 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM