Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds moving towards Sonny Gray trade
PROS:
In 2017, the Yankees traded the #67 ranked prospect, the #98 ranked prospect and a former first round prospect who was the #9 ranked prospect in the Yankees season in 2016 to get Sonny Gray from the Athletics. (I.E. He was worth some very valuable prospects in 2017, less than 2 years ago)

At the time, he had a sub 3.5 ERA and had 2 and a half years left of team control. For his career, at the time, he had an ERA+ of 114 (with + statistics, 100 is considered league average). The guy undeniably has talent. In fact, he came in third for AL Cy Young in 2015. He has the ability to be a top of the rotation arm.

CONS:
In his time with the Yankees, his ERA ballooned to 4.51. His walk rate increased from 2.9/9IP to 3.9/9IP. His HR rate increased from 0.8 to 1.1 per 9IP. His ERA+ dropped to 98 (below league average). His WHIP increased from 1.2 to 1.416. He is in the final year of his contract. Essentially every statistics that is relevant went up during his time with the Yankees

The reason I say all this is because there is a good chance that Gray still has the ability to be a #1 or #2 pitcher. Especially on our staff. If we can get him for a low cost, that'd be quite the steal. But what are the odds that he becomes that again?

I want to believe the Reds will not give up a whole lot here. If we give up a top 10 prospect I'd be really upset. But if we traded a player with high ceiling but with bust potential, like Aquino, then I think that'd be a great trade. I can't really judge it until I know what we gave up (or are planning to give up).

He's only 29 years old, so he has the potential to bounce back this year. New York is a very high stakes situation that not all players are cut out for (Same thing happened with Matt Harvey, who pitched much better once he arrived here.)

If this trade goes through I will be cautiously optimistic about it unless the price tag is insane...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reds moving towards Sonny Gray trade - CJD - 01-19-2019, 09:08 PM