Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escape from Dannemora
(01-31-2019, 07:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks for mentioning the show.  I have Showtime but had not noticed it until you posted here and so I binge watched it. I very much enjoyed it.  It had kind of a Fargo feel to it but maybe that was because of the accents of Tilly and Lyle as well as the setting.  

I'm not sure how much of the actual events were sensationalized for the show but if a lot it was true it seemed like there were many, many failures from multiple people that allowed the escape to happen.  Most notably the fact that a female prison employee in a sewing shop was permitted to go in closed, unmonitored rooms for lengthy periods of time completely unsupervised with male inmates.  That just seems like an obvious recipe for trouble not only for the security of the prison but the safety of the employee.

I agree Lyle is the only one I could feel sorry for.  I don't know if in real life he is really that disadvantaged or if again it was sensationalized for TV.  He is the only person involved, well aside from her son, that in the end deserved better.  There were times I wanted to understand Tilly and her motivation better.  In the last episode when the investigator asks Tilly if her mom was still around Tilly just made a face and it wasn't answered. So I wonder what her back story was well before her first marriage and all of that.  It seems there is some psychological reason that made her constantly seek out the attention of men no matter how destructive it was. It was obvious, at least as portrayed in the show, that she suffered significant issues with self-esteem, a strong desire to be needed/wanted but at the same time was manipulative as well.  I'd say she was also not very intelligent and maybe within borderline personality disorder range.  

Again, good show.  Thanks for bringing it up. I don't binge watch often and this one got me hooked.

I think you summed it up well. As you commented, I’m sure the prison has been put through the wringer security wise. I still find it hard to believe she was allowed to wear the blouses she wore.

Tilly started losing any compassion from me when she pulled that crap with her kid telling him his father was no longer his father. Lyle went along with it so he wasn’t perfect either, but if he was as portrayed she would have manipulated him there as well.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Escape from Dannemora - michaelsean - 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - michaelsean - 01-29-2019, 12:04 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - michaelsean - 01-31-2019, 08:19 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - SunsetBengal - 01-31-2019, 08:28 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - michaelsean - 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - SunsetBengal - 01-31-2019, 09:42 PM
RE: Escape from Dannemora - SunsetBengal - 01-31-2019, 07:45 PM