Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for the 2019 Season
Initially, like many, I had expectations for the 2019 to be one with a playoff appearance being likely. However, I've begun to come down off that perch.

As it stands, I see this team having fits and starts in the 2019 season with the offense sputtering for stretches. The Rams had a few games in the 2018 season where their high power offense was shutdown, the SB being the last and most complete shutdown. Earlier, however, the Bear held the Rams to only 6 points in Chicago followed by a loss to the Eagles.

Translating that to the Bengals and I see the Bengals having several key pieces in place to have a very good offense, but the one glaring problem area is the OL. The Rams are basically better at every position along the OL, except maybe LG. That's a concern for the 2019 outlook.

Mixon, from what I can see on the field, is more capable than Gurley. I know that may sound like a stretch or an outright fib, but Mixon appears to be more nibble and patient to me. So it's not Mixon I have concerns about because of the OL.

My concern lies with the QB, and not because it's Dalton, but because any QB's play is going suffer if he has guys in his face early. Brady was not Bradylike with all the pressure he was getting in the SB. Goff had an Andy like playoff game in the SB, largely because of the pressure NE was able to get against a better line than we have.

I watched the SB again and what caught my eye was the lack of offensive variety by the Rams who have a wealthy playbook. It just looked like NE had schemed away the bulk of the Rams plays.

Then we come to defense. We may end of up with a so-so DC when all is said and done and that's just not going to work. Wake Phillips is a very good DC and that wasn't enough for the Rams to take home the title. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the Rams defense that lost that game. Anytime you hold the other team to 13 points you should be able to expect a win. But the Bengals don't seem to have that strong DC coming in now that Del Rio is out of the picture. Taylor needs a strong DC, even if he doesn't see it at this point in time.

So, at this early point in the off season, I'd be very happy with a playoff appearance and I won't be surprised at all by an 8-8 finish given out last place schedule.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Expectations for the 2019 Season - BengalChris - 02-05-2019, 11:00 PM
RE: Expectations for the 2019 Season - McC - 02-06-2019, 01:08 PM
RE: Expectations for the 2019 Season - J24 - 02-06-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: Expectations for the 2019 Season - McC - 02-08-2019, 01:48 AM