Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lance McCallister rips Taylor on DC fiasco
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bengals: Are you wondering what I'm wondering? What is going on?

posted by Lance McAlister -  Feb 14, 2019

Bengals: Are you wondering what I'm wondering? What is going on?

You can slice, dice and try to serve this up any way you choose. But even as the optimist in the city…….I can’t present this any other way.

This situation surrounding Zac Taylor's search for a defensive coordinator is a mess. It’s Feb 13. Zac Taylor was hired 10 days ago.

Taylor has known he was going to be the next Bengals coach for over a month.

We've all know who the offensive coordinator was going to be (Thanks Jon Gruden) for going on four weeks.

And yet, Taylor's search for his defensive coordinator continues? How? Why?

Remember the initial thought? Get a veteran DC, a been there done that guy, with preview NFL head coaching experience a nice bonus. A guy Taylor could hand the D to to worry about….and at the same time lean on for advice?

The candidates have come and gone, I mean withdrawn: Jack Del Rio didn't work out. Dom Capers, with a 3-4 defense in his DNA never really felt like a fit. Dennis Allen opted to stay put in New Orleans. Todd Grantham…thanks, but no thanks.

But this isn’t about who the next candidate is…it’s more about the process to get here…..which is going nowhere.

Why is Zac down to at least his fifth choice?

Did he not have a guy always lined up in his mind before he was even hired for his first NFL head coaching job?

I thought Sean McVay preached to his guys….be ready?

What did Taylor tell the Bengals about his plans for DC during his interview? What did he tell the Broncos? What did he tell the Cardinals? What happened to the Sean McVay model of a Wade Phillips type guy?

Is Taylor too inexperienced to even have a guy? Are candidates passing because of Taylor? Is it because of organization? Is it money? Is it because of the talent on the D side? Why?

Sure, we can all play the game of throwing hats into the ring. Fans and media have thrown out Rex Ryan, John Fox, Kerry Coombs, just to name a few.

Don't forget, the Bengals also need a defensive line coach and a linebackers coach.

What matter is Taylor is down to at least his fifth choice for DC, as a first time NFL head coach with what is likely the least experienced coaching staff in the NFL.

The candidate pool isn't dry, but it's not deep or experienced. ESPN reports the Bengals will talk with Saints defensive backs coach Aaron Glenn. They Bengals reportedly interviewed Rams defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant last week. Glenn is 46 and never been a defensive coordinator on any level. The same goes for Pleasant, who is 31.

My fear now turns to Taylor getting desperate and

A. Hires another inexperience coach to join the staff. Another assistant that will have to 'coach up' as a first time NFL coordinator, if not first time NFL assistant.

B. Finds the Tommy Tuberville version for his hire. A guy late in his career, willing to say 'heck yea' for a chance to cash checks, play some golf, and put his feet up to be carried into retirement.

After an impressive first impression by Taylor at his new conference, then a slick TV commercial and a letter showing nice touch to season ticket holders………consider what Taylor has done since. He’s hired a first time NFL offensive coordinator, hired the controversial Jim Turner………fired from his NFL job and then suspended before his first game at his CFB job three years later, and missed on four DC coordinators.

Let me be clear: I’m not handing back my Zac Taylor WunderKid fan card……but I am wondering what everyone should be wondering:

What is going on?

Let's discuss tonight on Sports Talk.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2019-02-14-bengals-are-you-wondering-what-im-wondering-what-is-going-on/
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Lance McCallister rips Taylor on DC fiasco - THE PISTONS - 02-14-2019, 11:42 PM