Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Lombardi's Take on Zac Taylor (Homers Beware)
(02-16-2019, 02:23 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m waiting for the season to make any permanent opinions. Currently trying to stay cautiously optimistic/pragmatic.

This is me.  I'm excited to see how the changes look, I like what he did on the offensive side, sans Turner, I'm concerned a bit with the defense. That said, cautiously optimistic is the Bengals' fans mantra for the better of a decade, right? The FO seems to have held true to the NFL rule about coach tampering, and it bit them a bit. Getting such a late start due to a stupid rule isn't doing us any favors.

(02-16-2019, 02:26 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: No one knows with certainty how Taylor will perform as a Head Coach of an NFL team.  The most pundits can do is extrapolate from prior performance in related but in less influential roles.  Taylor was the OC at a UC but did not have control over many factors that could influence the results i.e., player personnel, and more importantly a limited time to develop players and relationships with players.  The head coach at the time seemed to be detached from the program the last year according to UC fans.  

Taylor did not have a long stunt with the Dolphins and again, Lazor was involved.  He worked as a QB coach for LAR and learned from an innovative head coach and took part in the development of a highly talented albeit young QB.  

Taylor has more control over personnel decisions and more control over the outcome.  He may succeed or he may fail. No one knows.

But this is known; Marvin Lewis did a wonderful job elevating the culture of an NFL laughing stock franchise to many playoffs appearance.  Lewis did what he could over 16 years working with an owner that is stubborn, traditional, and infamous for how the franchise was perceived as a bottom feeder.  Lewis was done.  A change was needed.  

The Front Office of the Bengals took a gamble and allowed a new and bright minded coach in Taylor take control and change the culture of the coaching personnel and eventually will get players to fit what he believes is the "new" blue-print of a high powered, innovative NFL team.  It is shocking of all the changes the front office made this off season.  The fact is the Cincinnati Bengals have changed the face of the franchise with who they believe will raise the bar of team performance to the level of the LAR, KC, or NOS.

Sure, the Bengals could have hired an experienced, traditional coach.  But the rules this day and age have changed the way the NFL is played.  Taylor and Bieniemy are considered coaches on the cutting edge.  It is a risk and the change may take time but kudos to the front office for taking that risk.  

Taylor has yet coached and pundits and some fans are already predicting doom.  I know this, I am excited.  I know some players are hopeful and excited for change.  I could care less what the pundits think.  If you are a true fan of the Bengals, give Taylor time to change things and get the right players.  Trust the process.  

If things don't work out, the Bengals could always hire someone else.  But the Bengals future could be bright; no one really knows at this point which leaves room for hope for most fans, and room for doubt by haters.

Very well said doc.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Lombardi's Take on Zac Taylor (Homers Beware) - Wyche'sWarrior - 02-16-2019, 08:46 AM