Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bills game might not be a gimme
(09-15-2015, 01:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you say so. I'd be curious to see their % of pressures per pass play. They passed a ton last year, so you have to account for that. I think you're exaggerating the pressures, but until I see numbers, I can't say for sure either way. I do know that terrible lines don't usually give up a mere 29 sacks on 661 pass attempts. 

Also, you seem to be giving 100% credit to Luck for getting rid of the ball and avoiding sacks amidst constant pressure, yet Matt Hasselbeck was sacked only twice in 44 attempts last year. That's the exact same average of sacks per pass attempt as Luck. Explain that one away.

You honestly have no clue why Luck dropped back to throw but didn't. You're only giving your opinion. I'm sure there were plenty of times where he saw open field and took off. I'm sure plenty of times receivers were covered. Tbh, 64 times doesn't seem like a lot for a guy who finished 3rd in passing attempts and is known to take off and run quite a bit.

I agree that the newly acquired weapons may not work out, but they weren't exactly shells of themselves last season, so there's no reason to assume that they won't help. We'll see soon enough. Summing this all up, I don't see how anyone can look at these facts and say that Luck has nothing but garbage around him:

- O-line gave up only 29 sacks, less sacks per pass play than the Bengals, who have a great o-line
- TY Hilton, Andre Johnson, Moncrief and Dorsett at WR
- One of the best TE duos in the league in Fleener and Dwayne Allen
- Defense that ranked 11th in total yards with 40 sacks

Look. You don't have to think the Colts have an amazing team around Luck. That's not what I'm saying. But anyone who looks at all this and says the Colts are a garbage team outside of Luck is just being ignorant and stubborn.

It's not garbage, soft is the word I'd use. Soft up front, specifically. 

In 680 drop backs, the Colts gave up 221 total pressures (ratio of .325 per drop back) compared the Bengals giving up 107 total pressures on 521 drop backs (ratio of 20.5 per drop back). I just don't see these Olines being comparable in pass pro. With that much allowed pressure I'd say it's a safe bet Luck did most of what he could to get rid of the ball.

Another soft quality, getting gashed in run defense. Bills put up 150 on them on 36 carries, after a less than stellar year at it last year, look no further than the two New England games. Gashed.

So no, it's got talent in its skill players and on the edge, but the team in its core is soft in the trenches and is vulnerable to games like they had against Buffalo.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bills game might not be a gimme - bfine32 - 09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
RE: Bills game might not be a gimme - Stormborn - 09-15-2015, 09:18 AM
RE: Bills game might not be a gimme - McC - 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM