Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why aren't the '90 Reds one of the all time greatest teams?
(03-09-2019, 07:41 PM)McC Wrote: They weren't exactly loaded with stars.  They had a few stars and a bunch of good players but nothing that overwhelms.  One guy in the HOF.  One.

They went wire to wire in first and went on to sweep the Mighty A's.

Twenty five homers led the team.  Eight six RBI's led the team.  As a team, they hit 125 homers.  Team batting average of .265.

They had one fifteen game winner, one fourteen game winner and one twelve game winner.

Granted, they had the Nasty Boys.  But does having  dominant bullpen make you dominant?

The point is, they were the epitome of a winning as a team.  Yet. they get no love in the all time conversation.  I think that is nothing short of a travesty.

I grew up watching the Reds, live and on TV.  My family had season tickets for 25 years from the early 70's to the mid 90's.  My point is, I've seen lots of good Reds teams over the years, and IMO the 1990 club is not even close to the conversation for best of all time.  Right players getting hot at the right time, with likely one of the best bullpens EVER.

You sort of dismissed the Nasty boys as the reason, but they WERE the reason for that teams success.  If the game got to 6th inning and the Reds were in the lead, the game was over......period.  I have never in my 40 years of watching baseball seen a more dominant 3 man punch from the bullpen.

(Historic) The bullpen along with Rijo's lights out performance and Billy Hatcher playing out of his mind in the World Series batting .750, were the reasons they won. 

But 5 players going out of their minds does not a historic TEAM make.

By comparison the Astros from a couple years ago were a much better TEAM in terms of overall and balanced talent than the 1990 Reds, but I still wouldn't even put them in the greatest of all time, so I certainly wouldn't include the 1990 Reds.

Just my opinion.

Side Note:  I will never till my dying day forget, watching live, Eric Davis' crowning glory moment of hitting that HR off Stewart in the first Inning of Game 1.  I was at Miami of Ohio at the time and the entire Campus was watching, literally.  The collective roar across the campus was amazing.  That moment set the tone for the entire series.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why aren't the '90 Reds one of the all time greatest teams? - Stewy - 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM