Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we just take a step back and look at the roster?
(03-16-2019, 11:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We had a great start to the year when healthy record wise. I see a lot of emphasis on the offense, yes our OL was not good. But our offense when healthy produced better than our defense when healthy.

If we want to be great, we need a top 10 defense minimum, but preferably a top 5 defense. We have a log way to go to improve on defense starting with we need a DL capable of better run support. They do a weak LB group no favors allowing RB's to get down hill on us, we rarely have DL tackles for loss.

The LB group is horrible, Burfict used to be great when on the field. Now, he looks slow and out of shape and misses angles and tackles. He is a shell of the great LB he once was. The CB's are average, they struggle in man to man coverer age and do not tackle well in space.

I think we have very good safety play overall that will get better as Bates get more experience.

Overall, we need Jackson to become a ball hawk like he was in college. We need to add speed and better instinct LB's. I think we need 1 mammoth run stopping DL to play alongside Geno, Billings is an OK back up, but not the answer.

On offense, we need depth at WR. A guy like Core needs to be able to step in and be competitive at WR when guys get hurt, not just be a good ST player. We were decimated at TE and need to rebuild that group. The OL needs Hart to get much better and hopefully Miller helps the right side of the line get much better in 2019.

Yes, we have some talent. But so does every NFL team, we just think our guys are better because they are our guys. AJ is great, but not if he can't stay healthy. He makes too much money to miss 4 to 6 games a year.

So, can the Bengals add a few pieces and be better in 2019? I have my concerns as I have expressed, but I hope I am wrong, I hope we stay a lot healthier if nothing else to eliminate that excuse, but hopefully to get us back to and win a playoff game.

I think our CBs are well above average, especially when asked to do what they are best at which is man coverage.  Dre is a questionable tackler, though he has improved.  One of the biggest issues with the secondary is the lack of pressure from the front four.  Improve the pass rush, and every level of the defense improves.  That is why I am behind the idea of DT first (if one of the top two is there) and LB later.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we just take a step back and look at the roster? - SHRacerX - 03-17-2019, 09:14 AM