Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Pick Simulator Mock
I Did this mock on First Pick the other day and thought I would share it for others thoughts. Personally, I love the draft and think it would serve us very well for some time but curious what others think.

Let me start by saying the weakness I see in this mock is lack of LB help but this draft unfortunately terrible in that area. I will also say that I do not love any player that is a possibility for us at #11. I could live with Devin White at #11 but as in this mock I do not see him being there at #11 and I would not trade up to get him. So it will be up to this coaching staff to use players on our roster to help our LBs with coverage whether it be by using safeties in hybrid roles or something of that nature.

Warning this draft will not be considered sexy!

So now to the draft...….

When our selection at #11 came around Devin White was off the boards so as I hope the Bengals would do I entertained trade options and opted to trade with the Raiders receiving their first round selections at #24 and #27 as well as the 4th selection in the 4th round for the 11th selection. So...…

Round 1 - 24th selection :

Cody Ford - 6'4" 328 lb - T/G - Oklahoma

At RT Ford is a little bit of a risk but high reward prospect. He is a massive prospect with above average athleticism for his size. Plays with an extreme mean streak. If he shows to need more development to start at RT then he is an instant upgrade at OG with All Pro potential inside. The weakest link on our offense was our line and this selection is an instant upgrade either at T or G.

Round 1 - 27th selection :

Dexter Lawrence - 6'4" 342lb - DT - Clemson

A massive brute force block eater and run stuffer. Instant upgrade to a porous run defense. I believe his rushing ability is under appreciated. No rushing is not his strength but his pure strength could be very effective next to a true rusher such as Geno. At any rate is an instant upgrade to this front on first and second down as well as on obvious rushing third downs.

Round 2 - 10th selection :

Kelvin Harmon - 6'2" 221 lb - WR - N.C. State

While I did not see WR as a huge need I also was not going to pass on the production of a guy like Harmon being still available at this point. He is not a burner but has functional football speed. What he does have is exceptional strength and football IQ to use his body to his advantage. Not a separator but again uses his body to gain space in tight windows. Back to back 1000 yard seasons and an extremely reliable redzone target.

Round 3 - 8th selection :

TJ Hockenson - 6'5" 251 lb - TE - Iowa

I don't feel he is going to be available at this point in the draft but if on draft day he is then such as with this mock they should sprint to the podium with the pick. The ceiling for Hockenson is off the charts. We are talking Kelce/Eifert type talent. A difference maker that will be a matchup nightmare. May also be a better blocker at this point than either of the aforementioned were at the same point in college. Could be the steal of the entire draft at this point.

Round 4 - 4th selection :

Kaleb McGary - 6'7" 317 lb - OG - Washington

Played outside at Washington but I feel a move inside at the NFL level would be better for his development. Has good functional strength but I do not see the lateral movement on the outside to be successful at the NFL level. A grinder that likes to finish. May be able to develop into a very reliable OG with NFL coaching. Not a huge fan of this selection but felt it to be the best option with what was on the board and we certainly are lacking on OL depth.

Round 4 - 8th selection :

Tyler Biadasz - 6'3" 322 lb - C/G - Wisconsin

Anchor......first thing that comes to mind when watching this kid. Old school type blocker. Yes we selected Price in the first last season and yes I am an OSU fan but make them fight for it as either can play C or OG. Either has the anchor and demeanor to play either position. It has actually been argued by many that Price was a better OG than center. Bottom line is that no more should we have to worry that our OL cannot get it done on game day. No longer should we have to worry about players separating themselves from others to take these starting jobs and no more should we have to worry about if a starter goes down with an injury.

Round 5 - 11th selection :

Jamel Dean - 6'1" 206 lb - CB - Auburn

Start with concerns. More than one major knee injury. Has been healthy since 2017 and shows outstanding size and speed for the position. Has shown the athleticism and ability to play in multiple style coverages. Has technique issues that need to be cleaned up but looks to be a guy that could help in a hybrid role covering TEs and RBs.

Round 6 - 10th selection :

Maxx Crosby - 6'5" 255 lb - DE - Eastern Michigan

As with CB and OL you can never have too many when it comes to pass rushers. Crosby is definitely a selection of potential. Has size and speed to be an outstanding rusher in the NFL if he can develop and grow to his potential. Luckily we are in the position to develop his talent with the depth we have on the D line.

Round 6 - 25th selection :

Antoine Wesley - 6'4" 206 lb - WR - Texas Tech

You hear it often but with this kid it is a truth.....rare ball skills. Very good route runner as well. These qualities make up for not having above average speed. Would have probably been better served by another season at the collegiate level as he was only a 1 year starter however has everything you are looking for in a highly productive receiver. He is not known as a burner when you watch film you will see defenders struggle to catch up in the open field due to him being a long strider.

Round 6 - 37th selection :

Dontavius Russell - 6' 3" 319 lb - DT - Auburn

Solid run stuffer that could be a solid backup. Will be a better player if NFL coaching can curb his tendency to play upright. may be at his ceiling of ability but a solid player that if corrects some technique issues could serve a team well in a depth role.

Round 6 - 38th selection :

Sean Bunting - 6'0" 195 lb - CB - Central Michigan

Has all the measurables you are looking for as well as sound technique. Has shown the ability to go after contested balls at the collegiate level. Low risk high reward type prospect.

Round 6 - 40th selection :

Travis Homer - 5'10" 201 lb - RB - Miami (Fl.)

Tough pass protector and smooth runner. Quickness to get to the edge. Will be more valuable to an offense if he can improve his pass catching skills. Experienced punt gunner who could find a special teams role early on.

Round 7 - 9th selection :

Derwin Gray - 6'4" 320 lb - T/G - Maryland

Serious upgrade in depth for either OT position. Very smooth athlete for his size. Needs to improve in run blocking. A guy that could push for a starting role but is an immediate upgrade coming off the bench.

And there you have it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
First Pick Simulator Mock - OSUfan - 03-16-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: First Pick Simulator Mock - SHRacerX - 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM
RE: First Pick Simulator Mock - shanebo - 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM
RE: First Pick Simulator Mock - OSUfan - 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM