Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson and Pass Rush Win Rate
**NOTICE** THIS THREAD IS FROM MARCH 2019.  SEE NEW POSTS AT END **NOTICE**

ESPN and Next Gen Stats came up with a new stats on pass rush called Pass Rush Win Rate (PRWR).  It measures what percentage of time a pass rusher beats his blocker in 2.5 seconds or less.  Five games into the season I saw a story on this stat and it happened to show the leaders.  Carl Lawson was 3rd with a PRWR of 41%.  After the season was over I went to see how he finished, but he was not in the final rankings at all because he did not play enough snaps to qualify.  The leader for OLB/DE was Robert Quinn with 40%.

I have no idea if Lawson could have maintained his 41% PRWR, and that is why they have minimum requirements to qualify as league leader, but it was good to know that he was still getting pressure even though he was not getting sacks.

I know it is better to get a sack than just get pressure, but stats show that the numbers drop considerably for QBs when they have to throw under pressure.  So even if Lawson was not getting the sacks he was getting the pressure that will slow down a passing game.

I could not find any list or any individual player stats for PRWR other than the top ten for DE/OLB and DT (Geno was top 5 with 32%).  So I don't even know what Lawsons PRWR was for the entire season.  The list I saw in the story was just through 5 games.

BTW I think the inverse of this stat that measures Pass Blocking Win Rate is even more important.  It is almost impossible to rate pass protection on sacks because some teams run quick passing games and some QBs hold on to the ball forever.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Carl Lawson and Pass Rush Win Rate - fredtoast - 03-19-2019, 06:05 PM