Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carl Lawson and Pass Rush Win Rate
(05-08-2020, 05:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 3 of 5 sacks vs the mighty Cleveland Browns, the ones who just drafted an LT with their rd 1 pick...

Another against Oakland. Color me impressed.

Let me pose this question to you. If we could trade Lawson to another team for a starting quality O-lineman, would you pursue? Lawson's value is limited on this team currently. I say we get what we can for him while he still has that value.

Fair question. But kind of moot.

First, I think it extremely unlikely we get a starting level offensive lineman for Lawson. If we could, it would be an overpaid/low level starter type (Hart, Hopkins, Price), a young guy who showed some potential (Jordan, Johnson), a borderline starter (Su'a-Filo), or just a mediocre guy (Redmond). Point being, we've already got the kind of guy we could get for Lawson. 

Second, we do not have a lot of DE depth. Lawson was our #3, if you do not like him, what is your take on Brown? He has ZERO sacks last year, IIRC. Kareem is a rookie 5th round pick who projects more as a DE/DT type than an EDGE pass-rusher.

I think effective situational pass-rushers are harder to find than mediocre offensive lineman. 

Now, a top 30 G or T or a top 15 C? That matches our scheme? In their prime? I'd make that deal. But the salaries won't match AND it would never be offered. AND we'd have to go find another EDGE.

One of the reasons our pass rush stunk last year was when Lawson got hurt, Dunlap & Hubbard had to play almost every down. It wore them out. If we had better edge depth, I'd be more favorably inclined towards a trade. But we don't.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carl Lawson and Pass Rush Win Rate - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-09-2020, 07:49 PM