Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of improvements can we expect in player development from coaching?
Marvin Lewis was the cause of all the team's problems, obviously! Ninja

In all seriousness though I don't think we can predict what our underachievers will accomplish in 2019.

Jefferson barely made it on the field last year and presumably this was because he doesn't have a head for the game. Even though he is clearly much faster than Burfict was coming out, Burfict, when his head is in the game, generally understood what the offense was trying to do and made up for his lack of speed by knowing where to be. Can they make Jefferson more football smart? Don't know, but I'm inclined to believe there are limits.

Billings and Malone are two guys I believe will show up better in 2019. Billings because he's one year removed from the injury and for guys his size that year makes a difference. For Malone he seemed to regress last year, so we know he can play better.

Hart's upside, Webb's upside and some other veterans probably won't see their ceilings raise much.

For Ross it all comes down to his route and field awareness, plus his hands. Can the coaches coach more field awareness into him? Who knows? But I do believe Ross is the guy who could most use a new HC. I still believe it was Ross' agent who circulated the rumors that the Bengals were looking to trade him.

Hopefully we'll see some innovative play design that will maximize player strengths and minimize the exposure of their weaknesses. That will help some. Ross is a guy who may benefit from this. But last year so many predicted he'd be great and he wasn't.

One thing I believe about Taylor is that he'll put the best players on the field regardless of draft position and that could help some guys, and hurt some others. What will Bernard's numbers be like? Will Uzi even get the same playing time?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What type of improvements can we expect in player development from coaching? - BengalChris - 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM