Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of improvements can we expect in player development from coaching?
(05-09-2019, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think all this talk of "culture" and "motivation" and "pushing buttons" is mostly BS.

If a team is getting beaten on the field the coach has to make some change in scheme or personnel.  I don't believe jumping up and down and saying "Yipee!! You can do it!" or pitching a hissy fit makes any difference at all.  It might help some high school kids, but I don't see it working with grown men.

There have been great coaches who were very fiery and there have been great coaches who were stoic.  There have been terrible coaches who were very emotional and terrible coaches who were very stoic.  At the NFL level coaching is about being smarter not about emotional speeches or squealing louder.

The only way a coach can motivate a team is to show them that he has the brains to help them win.  And the best coaches win in the week before a game instead of on the sidelines.

I disagree, fear is a huge motivator. Fear of losing playing time, fear of losing the game, fear of losing respect of your coaches and teammates and ultimately losing your income/job if you do not perform.

Motivation comes in many forms and yes they are adults, but they are also human beings. I am not saying get in their face every minute, but they do need to know who is in charge and the consequences for missing assignments or not getting great results. I think BB is a master at development of players, holding accountability and motivating his players by fear and positive reinforcement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What type of improvements can we expect in player development from coaching? - Luvnit2 - 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM