Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample, Wesco or _______? Who's the next Vance McDonald?
(05-10-2019, 09:23 AM)3wt Wrote: So the Bengals drafted Drew Sample (6-4, 255 lbs) in the 2nd round.  Trevon Wesco (6-3, 267lbs) went to the Jets in the 4th round.  

I believe Vance McDonald (6-4, 267 lbs.) was drafted in the 2nd round by the 49ers and traded to Pittsburgh where he has been an overpowering receiver with the ball in his hand.

I do not know what kind of blocker McDonald is (my guess is, being a Steeler, he's a good one), but I was drooling over this guy last year.

So

Is Sample comparable to McDonald?  Can he be another McDonald?   Is Trevon Wesco comparable to the two of them?  

I heard Wesco had been a questionable receiver, but had stepped up his receiving game towards the end of his last season at W.VA, and killed it at his pro day.

So should we have taken Wesco in the 4th round?  Or do we feel like we got the better TE in the 2nd.  And will he be as good as McDonald?

Thoughts??

I liked Wesco as an option if they didn't get sample.  I had this work out this way on the draft simulator a number of times.  

Wesco, like Sample, had limited opportunities to be a receiver in the WVU offense until his senior year and he showed he could be a solid pass-catcher.  Sample, however, is the much better receiver.  I think Sample had 25 receptions last year and NOT ONE DROP.  Most of his receptions came on 3rd down, and in the red zone.  That kind of reliability is outstanding.  He is also the hands-down best blocker in the draft.  Wesco had some highlight blocks where he blew a guy up downfield, but straight up in-line blocking is where Sample is the best.  

Sample was the 1st rated TE, in terms of blocking, by PFF coming out of the draft.  He simply is a very sound player.  That might not be as exciting to those panning the pick when they got him as he might not be flying down the seam for a 50 yard completion, but how many times did Eifert actually do that?  Sure, the threat was there, but what the Bengals need is reliable players that don't make mistakes that end drives.

I was thrilled to get Sample and love that they have seemingly stopped trying to make receiving TEs good blockers instead of getting a great blocking TE that can move the chains.  It gives them many more options when he is in, and makes the offense less predictable.  

When Eifert was healthy, this offense was just...different.  It was better.  Defenses had to adjust when he was out there.  I hope and pray he can contribute and be healthy all year, but Sample will help this offense be much better and more consistent running the ball and moving the chains game after game.  

If I had to wager on what draft pick would have the greatest impact on this team this year, my money would be on Sample.  

Oh, and since you have already figured out how much I like the player, his coaches and teammates also rave about him as a teammate and person.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sample, Wesco or _______? Who's the next Vance McDonald? - SHRacerX - 05-11-2019, 09:52 AM