Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jonah Williams’ shoulder injury likely predates time with Bengals
(07-04-2019, 12:00 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sure you both realize that all of this doesn't really matter much at this point. We picked Jonah Williams (and I loved the pick) and he's ours now. Possibly the team and/or other teams had an inkling that there might be something with his shoulder going into the draft and maybe not. We'll probably never know.

What might be more interesting is that the Bengals have selected players in the 1st round with existing injuries several times lately. Not counting Williams cause I don't know that they knew, we have Price, Ross and Ogbuehi who were all selected with existing injuries. Prices was an injury from the combine and he started 10 games as a rookie. Ogbuehi appeared sparingly in 5 games as a rookie before finally going on IR near the end of his rookie year. Ross appeared in 3 games his rookie season, hid a second injury, then went on IR the last few games of his rookie year.

Then besides those, the following 1st round picks also missed their entire rookie years with injuries sustained in OTAs or the pre-season: Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson and now Williams.

Since 2012 of the Bengals' 1st round selections only Zietler, Eifert and Price played in more than 5 games during their rookie seasons and we've had 9 1st round selections during those 8 years.

In other words, 2/3rds of our 1st round picks couldn't even play in more than 5 games their rookie seasons. That's pretty astonishing I believe.

Why is this? I have no idea!

Is this more than other teams? I believe so, but honestly I haven't checked.

If we go back before 2012, we had AJ Green in 2011 who was amazing. Then in 2010 we Gresham who played in 15 games, starting 10 as a rookie. In 2009 we had Andre who started 1 game and played in 6 total games as a rookie. The three years before those we drafted Rivers (played in only 7 games as a rookie), Leon Hall and JJoe. Both Hall and JJoe played in 16 games their rookie seasons.

We've been getting more injured guys in the 1st lately, that's all I know for sure.

Yep...and lets face it, the Bengals rely on those rookie deals more than some other teams as they don't heavily use free agency. We know rookie deals are cheaper...and we end up having most of our 1st Round picks play 4 of 5 or 3 of 5 years due to these injuries...

That's extremely costly.

Some injuries are freak luck, but it seems to happen way more to the Bengals than most teams.

And I think injuries are valid fodder to discuss too as health was cited for the teams poor performance last year and then bam to start this year Williams and Boling go down. Well Boling is unknown at this point, but it doesn't seem good with all the Guards they signed.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jonah Williams’ shoulder injury likely predates time with Bengals - THE PISTONS - 07-04-2019, 11:07 AM