Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of payroll opening up: What would you do?
(07-04-2019, 06:35 PM)samhain Wrote: I read recently that the Reds ownership intends to spend to the level that they did this season in 2020.  That puts the total likely spend around 133 million if it holds true.  With expiring contracts, the Reds total payroll will start at 57 million before any signings or extensions take place.  That, my friends, is a shitload of money to spend.

I personally feel like Iglesias needs to be extended.  Not sure what he'd command, possibly in the 8-10 mil per neighborhood?  I'd also consider Scooter if he comes back cheap after an injury-riddled 2019.  Puig is becoming a guy that fans are getting attached to, and if they actually manage to get to the postseason, there will be pressure to bring him back.  12-15 mil per seems like a probable range for him, but you never know how teams view his antics.  He might come cheaper than expected.  So let's say you get those guys back for a total of 35 mil.  You're at 92 mil with 41 mil left to spend.

What do you do?  Castillo is under contract for 4 more years, I think, but perhaps an extension is in order.  I'd personally look to sign anther ace like Gerritt Cole.  Get a hammer to pair with Castillo.  This team sucks at developing pitching, so buy one.  Have a rotation of Castillo, Cole, and Grey as your front line and let the offense roll.

Cole cannot seem to beat the Reds so he just join the  team!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lots of payroll opening up: What would you do? - psychdoctor - 07-04-2019, 06:47 PM