Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the ball "juiced"? And does it need to be fixed.
(07-16-2019, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I heard it mentioned somewhere that launch angle is becoming more and more emphasized, and that's been a big contributor.
I honestly just think this is funny because it seems like MLB is turning into recreational softball. No one wants to get base hits anymore, it's all about hitting it to the fence!

Yup,

I don't know if they've intentionally "juiced" the baseball for more HR's but It's pretty certain the ball has changed over the years. Wound tighter, wrapped tighter, different materials, less stitching, and so on. Just like golf balls of today fly better than those of 30 years ago.

But I think the HR totals of today are the result of many things and it's not just totally the ball being "juiced". Look at NFL linemen of 1975 or whatever, what was the average weight ? 265 ? Smoking cigarettes right before the game. Look at all the fat guys playing baseball in yesteryear. They're in much better shape overall today.

The average speed of fastballs from pitchers has increased, or in other words the pitcher is providing the velocity. As you say they study film and increase the launch angle.

And probably the biggest thing ! Everybody is swinging out of their shoes at the plate, it's all about the HR. The shift is a direct result of guys trying to kill the ball at the plate. Small ball dies a little more every season. Punch and Judy is gone, hit and runs are few are far between, and just on and on.

A large part of the decrease in batting average is because of this. It is becoming softball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the ball "juiced"? And does it need to be fixed. - bengalfan74 - 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM