Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gennett traded to the Giants
(07-31-2019, 05:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wonder if this trade means they will sign Iggy (SS) for a long-term deal and move Peraza to 2nd base?

I hope they sign Iglesias at shortstop.   As Reds announcers have said, Reds really don't have a good SS ready to come out of the minors any time soon.  The need is there to sign him.  Plus, I didn't see All-Star Roy McMillan, but I saw All-Stars Leo Cardenas, Dave Concepcion, Barry Larkin and I can say that on defense Iglesias is as good as any of them, plus he can hit.   It is fitting the Reds continue their long history of All-Star type shortstops going by keeping Iglesias past 2019. 

On defense, I will throw it out here that Van Meter says his favorite position to play is second base.   On saying that, consider how that would open the door for young Senzel, Winker and Ervin to get time in the outfield.  The Reds announcers in a game just mentioned lately that Van Meter is playing OF but is more use to second base and he really likes second base.  Lets not forget that going forward in considering how to play these 4 good young players in the same line-up.  Could be way of the future. Way of the future. Way of the future.

Peraza who never really developed is around for now to play short and 2nd if needed.  Add in Dietrich who plays 2nd.  By all means, lets not forget Dietrich who's home run bat might be needed with Puig gone and he can play 2nd and OF.   Lets add in Farmer who plays 2nd and OF and Cather and any position you need.  How long these guys with Reds past 2019, I do not know, but they could be huge rest of 2019.

I'm guessing we might see more Dietrich at 2nd as before Gennett came off IL, at least for now. Reds in practice warm ups might want to hit some fielding practice to Van Meter at 2nd Base. They may like what they see. My guess is Thursday against Atlanta will be Dietrich or Farmer at 2nd.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Gennett traded to the Giants - psychdoctor - 07-31-2019, 05:19 PM
RE: Gennett traded to the Giants - kevin - 07-31-2019, 11:45 PM
RE: Gennett traded to the Giants - McC - 07-31-2019, 06:23 PM